Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting


Today is one of my daughters birthdays, Amanda ,she turns 11 today! I'm posting the recipe for her birthday cake , the first recipe on my blog. This is a recipe that I' ve had for at least 30 yrs. I made a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting , a huge hit in this house! I also have a picture of it which could've been a little lighter in color but we're going to work on that. I have always made this recipe per the instructions but today I made some changes. The original recipe calls for 1 cup of milk , today I used 1 cup of buttermilk. I always used all purpose flour, today I used cake flour, I always made this cake in a 13x9 inch pan, today I made a layer cake. Lots of adaptions !!  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title
This is a wonderful rich moist cake, I have always gotten rave reviews over it. If you try this cake please let me know how it goes for you. On to the frosting, yum! I have always made a home-made peanut butter frosting that consisted of about 2 or 3 tbls of soft butter, I always just eyeballed the peanut butter ,added a box of confectioners sugar and added milk to get it to the consistency that I wanted. Well I came across a recipe for peanut butter frosting on a blog called Cookie Baker Lynn that looked so good I had to try it along with her Elvis cake! they were fantastic!! So this time around I used her peanut butter frosting for my chocolate cake minus the fluffernutter. heavenly combination!! Thank you Cookie Baker Lynn!!

Chocolate Cake

This is the cake I made with the adaptions:

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup Hershey's cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp
2 large eggs
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsps vanilla
1 cup brewed coffee

preheat oven to 3oo degrees

use a non stick spray to coat 2 9 inch round cake pans. i sifted the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and added the wet ingredients, mix with electric mixer on medium high speed till all ingredients are blended and smooth. pour into the prepared pans and bake for 1 hour, testing with a wooden toothpick for doneness.

Peanut butter frosting:
From Cookie Baker Lynn

2 sticks of butter, room temperature
1 cup smooth peanut butter
4 cups powdered sugar (I sifted it first)
up to 2 tbls milk.

With an electric mixer cream peanut butter and butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time using the milk to adjust the consistency to your liking.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful cake. Funny, my daughter asked for a similar cake this year for her birthday.

Bunny said...

Rhonda you are the first person to ever comment on this post! It was my very first blog post 6 yrs ago! You'll love this cake, it's outstanding, the PB frosting is GREAT!!