The winters here in Kentucky are definitely milder that what I'm use to in Pennsylvania. In Pa. winter starts at the end of October and hangs around till April. To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.
Yesterday I was hanging clothes out on the line. BIG contrast, and I'm gonna take it and run with it. Whatever the temperature is, soup is always welcome. Whether you make it as a light accompaniment in the summer with a salad or a hearty soup with a sandwich to warm your bones with in the winter, we love it. And if you put cheese in the soup , it'll make me absolutely giddy. This recipe came from Allrecipes.com. It was fast and delicious. Paul and I both agree it's the best potato soup we've ever had, and the cheddar cheese had a lot to do with that. I pared this soup with my husbands favorite sandwich, a club sandwich. You can make a club sandwich with any meat you have on hand. I usually make them for him after I've roasted a chicken or beef roast, he really looks forward to it. We hope you enjoy this soup and sandwich as much as we do. Enjoy!
I didn't have red potatoes when I made this so I used russet potatoes. I added about a cup more potatoes to the soup, that way I could take my potato masher and mash some of them to make the soup nice and thick and still have pieces of potatoes. I also added about 3/4 cup more cheddar cheese. I love me some cheese!
Click here to print the recipe.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups peeled and cubed red potatoes ( I used 3 cups russet potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese ( I used about 1 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup diced ham ( I used bacon)
- Using a medium sized stock pot bring water to a boil, add potatoes and cook until tender. Drain reserving 1 cup liquid.
- Stir in butter, onion and flour. Season with salt and pepper. Gradually stir in potatoes, reserved liquid, milk, sugar, cheese, and ham. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
Making a club sandwich is very easy. Start by toasting 3 slices of bread, we use whole wheat. Put mayonnaise on all 3 slices. Fry 3 slices of bacon,and cut into pieces and lay on one slice of mayonnaise bread. Take whatever meat you have on hand....chicken, turkey, roast beef or ham and lay it on top of the bacon. Top this with your second slice of mayonnaise bread. On top of your second slice you can add cheese if you want to along with your lettuce and tomato, top with third slice of mayonnaise bread. It's one terrific sandwich!