Pages

Monday, August 18, 2008

Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cake With Apple - Nut Filling




This cake is "get it  away from me before I eat the whole thing" good! WOW!   To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.


I had 2 recipes for Apple Cake and was debating on which one would get baked first, I'm glad I chose this one. I've never had an apple cinnamon roll, I don't even know where there's a recipe for
one, but the first thing I thought of when I ate this was,this has to be what it would taste like. You make your own apple filling for this cake, the actually cake part has 1 1/2 cups of sour cream in it. When you bite into this you get the gooey apple filling mixed in with the soft moist cake with a little bit of glaze on top and right away I'm thinkin apple cinnamon roll....with out all the work of using yeast. Yes! When I started making this I was going down the ingredient list looking at the apple filling recipe, apples, butter,flour,nutmeg.....whhooo wait back up, I read it again. Where's the cinnamon? No cinnamon?? How could there be no cinnamon??? I think no cinnamon in an apple recipe is breaking some kind of major cinnamon rule here. An apple injustice if you will!! This has to be a typo, whoever posted the recipe couldn't have actually meant to leave out the cinnamon, I had to put it in, it went against every grain in my body to leave it out! I doubled the apple filling , not because I planned on it but because I cut 1 to many apples up so I just decide to double the recipe. Next time I make this I will cut the apples smaller but....still double the recipe, I think that's what made this taste so good!

 photo 2775043403_43c3a3afd4_o_zpsfe942798.jpg

Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cake With Apple - Nut Filling
RecipeZaar
Marg ( Cayman Designs)


(I doubled the filling recipe)

Apple-Nut Filling
1 1/2 cups chopped apples
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (I use walnuts)
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Coffee Cake
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
3 cups flour (all purpose or whole wheat)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sour cream
Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 teaspoon milk


Directions
1 Preheat oven to 325°F; grease a 12-cup Bundt pan or a 10x4-inch tube pan.
2 Prepare apple-nut filling: Cook all ingredients, except nuts, over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until apples are tender. This will take approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in nuts. Set aside.

3 Combine sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed, 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.

4 Alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat well between each addition on low speed.

5 Spread 1/3 of the batter (about 2 cups) in the baking pan. Top with 1/3 of the filling. Repeat this pattern 2 more times, until all batter and filling have been used.

6 Bake at 325°F for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then turnout onto a serving plate and cool completely.

7 To prepare glaze: Mix all ingredients until smooth, then drizzle over cooled coffee cake

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I agree if you have apples you have to have cinnamon :)

giz said...

This is totally go-jus!!!! apples, cinnamon, nuts - just call me present.

Anonymous said...

I swear I come here for the torture! It's yummy-licious sounding and Looking! I love your sinful ways. You have me wrapped around your little finger.

Marie Rayner said...

Oh wow Bunny! That looks so delicous! I admit I have been eyeballing that recipe myself for a long time. I Must delay no longer and make it myself!

The Blonde Duck said...

You're going to kill me. Honestly, you really are. Everything here always looks so good!

grace said...

hallelujah for a fellow cinnamon devotee! it obviously must've been a typo. :)
your cake is fabulous, and just thinking about an apple cinnamon roll makes my mouth water like nothing else. bravo, bunny!

April said...

YUM!! Looks delicious!!

Elle said...

I need this! It's gorgeous--an apple cinnamon roll-type thing? Heck, yeah!

Another good call--you can't have this without cinnamon!

putra said...

thanks for share this recipe i like it.