Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Brazilian Coconut Rolls ( Pao Doce com Coco )

A Brazilian Treat..Dense Sweet Rolls filled and topped with shredded sweet coconut ,coconut milk, and a Sweet Milk Glaze 
To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.
My neighbor Lisa gifted me with a bag of coconut and 2 cans of coconut milk.  I was very thankful for the gift and decided I would wait until I found something very special to use them in and return her gift to me back, in the form of a special treat to share with her and her family.  I came across these delightful Brazilian Coconut Rolls on a blog called...From Brazil To You. Denise Browning, a trained chef, wife and  mother of 2 beautiful girls, was born and raised in Brazil. She has dedicated her blog to the food , sites and sounds of  Brazil.  Please visit Denise, she has a wonderful blog with authentic Brazilian Recipes!


The Dough

As always when I make a recipe for the first time I follow the recipe to the letter. Starting with the dough...Denise's instructions were to STIR the dough ingredients together.  I didn't use an electric mixer, I followed the instructions given.  When the dough ingredients are all together it will look like a rough biscuit batter.  But when you start kneading it , it becomes a VERY SOFT wonderful dough!  I used as little flour as possible to dust my board with while kneading.  My finished product was soft and slightly tacky, which I prefer for all yeast doughs that I make.  I also didn't grease the bowl to let the dough rise in and I had no problem getting it out of the bowl. After the dough rose it took no effort at all to roll this out.  This recipe makes 8 -10 large rolls, you can make them smaller if you like, and yield more . The recipe says to bake at 392 degrees F, I baked them at 375 degrees F.  My oven goes from 350 degrees to 400 degrees, I picked the middle temperature.


The Filling and Topping

A quote from Denise.....".These rolls are Brazilian-style — which means that they are more dense and less sweet than American cinnamon rolls. You are welcome to make them with sweetened coconut flakes as well as adding a drizzle of sweetened condensed milk to the topping."

 We Americans love our sweet rolls and cinnamon rolls because they're SWEET.  We put sugar in the filling and frosting on top.  You are going to want to make these rolls with sweetened coconut to get a sweet roll that we are accustomed too.  And please do drizzle the left over sweetened condensed milk over the top after you pour the topping over the hot rolls.  The recipe topping gets absorbed into the roll tops and the sweetened condensed milk makes a nice sweet glaze .  This is a wonderful sweet roll recipe ,thank you Denise for sharing it with us. You are going to love these Brazilian Coconut Rolls, an authentic Brazilian Treat From Brazil to You!   Enjoy!



 To Print The Recipe, Click Here.




Brazilian Coconut Rolls ( Pao Doce Coco)

Ingredients

Dough
2 envelopes active dry yeast
5 1/2 cups flour plus 3 TBLS plus 2 tsp of flour
8 TBLS white sugar
1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon warm whole milk
1 large egg , room temperature
1 cup plus 4 TBLS coconut milk
7 TBLS unsalted butter, melted

Filling
About 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 tsps vanilla extract 
1/8 - 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
4 TBLS unsalted butter, melted


Topping
13.5 ounces coconut milk
10-12 TBLS granulated sugar
4 TBLS shredded sweetened coconut

For an added glaze, top warm baked rolls with sweetened condensed milk

Directions
Dough
In large bowl, mix the yeast with the sugar,  Stir in the warm milk and let rest for 5 minutes.  Stir in the egg, then the flour, coconut milk and butter.  Knead the dough and let rest in the bowl, covered with a warm wet towel in a warm place until doubled in volume, about an hour.

Filling
Mix the shredded sweetened coconut, condensed milk, vanilla and nutmeg together.  Roll out the dough on a floured surface, then brush most of the melted butter on top of the dough and spread the filling.  Roll up like a jelly roll and cut into 2 inch slices.  Arrange into a greased rectangular baking pan or a round cast iron skillet in a single layer.  Brush the remaining melted butter on top of the rolls and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.  The rolls will continue to rise so it's better to place them a bit apart from each other.  Bake in preheated oven at 392 degrees F.  

Topping 
Stir the coconut milk, sugar and shredded sweetened coconut together, drizzle over the bread while still warm.  

* For an added glaze, drizzle sweetened condensed milk over rolls

8 comments:

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

This recipe has me written all over it!

Bunny said...

Lisa I hope you and you're family enjoy it!

Denise Browning@From Brazil To You said...

Wow, Mary! What beautiful rolls you have made...Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so glad that you have enjoyed my/our rolls. I am so sharing your post!!!!

Bunny said...

The thanks goes to you Denise! If I hadn't seen them on your blog, I wouldn't have know they existed and I couldn't have made such a wonderful treat! Thank you for allowing me to share them!

grace said...

that pool of glaze looks AWESOME! this coconut lover is pretty excited about these.

Bunny said...

They're good Grace, I hope you get a chance to make them!

Anonymous said...

Amazing recipe.. I have made this twice already. . Love it ! thanks for sharing :)

Bunny said...

Anonymous thank you coming back to tell me you made them!