Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Chocolate Filled Cupcakes with Ganache Topping

Picture 034

I had so much fun making these cupcakes today! I wanted to make filled cupcakes but I wanted a filling like the Hostess cupcakes have, something light smack dab in the middle!  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.


 So a pudding or pastry cream was out, I didn't want a cream cheese center either. You know how you know what you want you just can't figure out how to get it? Then I started thinking about whoopie pies and the filling they have, I think that's it! That's what I want for my cupcake. So off to the recipe binder I went to find a filling recipe, I found one and halved the recipe cause the recipe for the cupcakes only made 12 which was good cause I didn't know how this was gonna turn out. The recipe for the actual cake part came from The Prepared Pantry, so did the ganache on top of those little beauties. So this is how my Chocolate Filled cupcakes with Ganache Topping came about.


Picture 040

First I made the cake batter that made 12 cupcakes.


Picture 043

Then I made the whoopie pie filling recipe that I cut in 1/2. It made just enough filling to fill the cupcakes with, with very little left over. I took my pastry bag and put a star tip on it and inserted it into the cupcakes and filled till it came out the top. It was sooo neat! You could see the cupcake get bigger when I was filling it!!

Picture 034

Then I made the ganache, which I've never made before and dipped the cupcakes in it. The ganache was very easy to make and I was very happy with the way it turned out. After they were topped with the ganache I put them in the fridge so it would cool a bit cause I knew I couldn't wait all day to see what the inside of the cupcake looked like!!

Picture 037



I was very happy with the way things went today and will be making these again, the kids have already eaten 4 of them, I don't think they'll last the night!



The Prepared Pantry

Cake Batter:
Ingredients
1/3 cup butter

1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2/3 cup milk
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 cup cocoa

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder




Filling:



1 egg white

1/4 cup shortening

1 cup confectioners sugar

dash salt

1/2 tsp vanilla



Directions:



Beat egg white till stiff, add remaining filling ingredients and beat well.


Ganache Topping
1/4 cup whipping cream

1 tablespoon butter

2 tablespoons light corn syrup

6 ounces good quality dark chocolate, wafers or chips


Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
With your stand-type mixer and using the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar, and salt together. Add the eggs and beat in. Add the vanilla extract and milk. Beat until mixed.
Whisk the flour, cocoa, and baking powder together. Add to the creamed mixture and beat until just mixed together. Do not over-mix.
Spoon the batter into 12 muffin tins lined with paper liners. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the cupcakes test done. Remove the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool.
Once cooled, use a thin decorating tip and decorating tool or pastry bag to press whipped cream filling into the cupcakes. You can do so by pushing the tip through the top of the cupcake to the center.
To make the topping, combine the cream, butter, and corn syrup in a small, heavy saucepan. Heat until it simmers. Remove the pan and immediately add the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted and the sauce is smooth.
Let the sauce cool for five to ten minutes—it should still be warm. Dip the tops of the cupcakes in the sauce. If the coating is too thin, let the chocolate cool some more. The topping will cool and thicken in about thirty minutes.


Baker’s note: You will have leftover ganache. Save and refrigerate it. It will make great ice cream topping.

4 comments:

grace said...

may i eat the leftover ganache with a spoon? :)
these look like some delicious little treats--nicely done!

Fran Z said...

Yay! Bunny! - great minds think alike! I made these last Wednesday and took them to work. I am such a slacker at posting! I filled mine with Rich's Bettercreme flavored with Hershey's Dulce Le Leche syrup and topped with ganache. The recipe I use for ganache heats the cream, corn syrup and adds sugar, then you add the choc and then the butter. MMM I only had one- so I may make them again this week. I think I'm gonna try to make a butterscotch one of I can get the good butterscotch wafers.

Bunny said...

thank you grace, they were so much fun to make! guess what, the kids just finished them off!! i knew they weren't gonna make the night. fran, i saw a recpe for a strawberry creme filling that i can't wait to make with the cupcakes!!

Elle said...

YUM! How could you not have fun making those? They look so good!