Pages

Monday, September 15, 2008

Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Coconut and Brown Sugar Topping

oatmeal cake photo 2861797730_c00688585c_o_zps00910fb2.jpg

Have you ever had an Oatmeal Cake before?? If you haven't you don't know what your missing!   To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.


This little gem is very moist and full of flavor. The topping is coconut, butter, brown sugar and cream. I made this for the restaurant today and it didn't take very long for it to disappear. This is so easy to make, after the cake is baked you put the topping on and broil it for a couple of minutes till it's nice and golden brown. When you cut this the first thing you smell is the cinnamon, then you see the gooey topping mixing in with that moist cake and it's love at first bite! This recipe came from Allrecipes, there must have been 40 reviews for this cake all praising the moistness of the cake and the incredible topping. I had to make it. Now this is how I want to eat my oatmeal!!!

oatmeal cake photo 2860979957_79a7d465e3_o_zps6208b35a.jpg

Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Coconut and Brown Sugar Topping
Allrecipes

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup flaked coconut
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup cream



DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 x 13 pan.

In a small bowl, pour boiling water over oats. Mix well, and cool.
In a large bowl, combine butter or margarine, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup white sugar, eggs, flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Add cooled oatmeal mixture, and stir to combine. Pour batter into pan.
Bake for 35 minutes.
While cake is baking, combine 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, coconut, melted butter or margarine, vanilla, and cream in a mixing bowl. Remove cake from oven, and turn on broiler. Drop mixture by small spoonfuls on top of cake. Spread evenly and carefully. Broil for 2 to 5 minutes, until topping is bubbling and lightly browned.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG again you have me floored, this sounds amazing Bunny. I love oatmeal so I can see how this would be perfect.

Marie Rayner said...

THIS is one of my favourite cakes Bunny! Yours looks fabulous!

The Blonde Duck said...

It looks heavenly! No wonder it dissapeared! I'm so hungry now....

Anonymous said...

This is a cake with all my favorites-oats, cinnamon and coconut. As a matter of fact I was just thinking about this cake a day ago and here you make it. Splendid Job, Bunny!

grace said...

bunny, i'm not kidding when i tell you that this is one of my favorite cakes. my mom used to make it all the time when i was growing up and i've continued to love it. thank you for reminding me of its magnificence! :)

Fran Z said...

No freaking fair!!! Bunny this looks so good, but I CANNOT bake!!! Hurricane Ike knocked out our power on Sunday so I am at the library checking my email!! Have been told no power until Saturday MAYBE.....

Maddy said...

mmm I love oatmeal! This had to be decadent!

giz said...

I'm going to have to completely boycott your blog - I freaking gain 5 lbs every time I look at a post. Psychgrad will need a bundle buggy just to wheel me around. Seriously oatmeal cake with broiled coconut and brown sugar - at my eulogy they'll say she died with a smile on her face and it's all because of bunny.

calicodaisy said...

I love, love oatmeal cake! My mom used to make it for company or church, and folks would ask what it was, and she would make them guess. No one could believe oatmeal. A few years ago, I had a chocolage version of this. OUTSTANDING! If you don't have that recipe, I'd be glad to share it.

I might have to make one of them this afternoon.....

I'm new to your blog. I clicked your name from a posting at A Yankee In A Southern Kitchen.
-- Michele

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite cake in the whole wide world! I'm often tempted to figure out a way to make one without the brown sugar, just plain, for a vanilla cake. Have not done it yet.