Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Homemade Potato Rolls and Fluffer Nutter Cake




 This will also be my entry for Wild Yeast's Yeastspotting event and Cathy at Noble Pig's Potato Ho Down Event..I have a two fer here! These rolls were very easy to make and they were delicious. I took some pictures while I was making them.  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title


Picture 988

This is what the dough looked like before I kneaded it. I used real potatoes instead of instant, I also used the water that the potatoes cooked in for the water in the recipe.

Picture 1001

After I cut the dough into 12 strips I rolled them into little snails, put them on a greased baking sheet and let them rise.

Picture 1007

They rose up very nicely following the recipe instructions to put boiling water in a shallow pan and put the baking sheet of dough on top of it and cover. These rose up in just 15 minutes!


Picture 1019

Bake them for 25 minutes and this is what you get...the perfect companion for a hearty homemade soup.


Potato Rolls
Breadworld
Makes 12 Rolls

3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 envelope FLEISCHMANN'S RapidRise Yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup instant potato flakes or buds*
2 eggs

Directions

In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt. Heat water, milk, and butter until very warm (120o to 130oF). Stir in potato flakes; let soften 1 minute. Stir into dry ingredients. Stir in 1 egg and enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4 to 6 minutes. Cover; let rest on floured surface 10 minutes.Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece to 12-inch rope. Coil each rope to make "snail" shape. Arrange rolls in a circle on large greased baking sheet with sides barely touching. Place large shallow pan on counter; half fill with boiling water. Place baking sheet on pan. Cover; let rise 15 minutes. Lightly beat remaining egg; brush over rolls. Bake at 375oF for 25 minutes or until done. Remove from sheet; let cool on wire rack.

*To use fresh potato: Follow above directions except decrease water to 1/2 cup and replace potato flakes with 1/3 cup cooked, mashed potato (at room temperature). Stir mashed potato into dough along with egg.

I don't know about you but I could go for something sweet ! How about a Fluffernutter Cake. This recipe came from Cookie Baker Lynn and is outstanding. We start by making a two layer banana cake , then we're going to top each layer with chocolate chips and bake it.


Picture 968

Picture 979

Then we're going to slather it with Peanut Butter Fluffernutter Frosting!

Picture 984

I couldn't cut this cake because this was my son's birthday cake, but trust me it was good and you can find the recipe here.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a meal, well you know I'm a potato fan! This is wonderful.

Marie Rayner said...

Fantastic looking meal Bunny! Colour me dumb . . . but who is Carol?

Jenny said...

Wow, what a fantastic meal from start to finish! Love all of the recipes, but that soup is calling my name!

Bunny said...

Hi Marie, Carol is a wonderful friend that has been contributing her fantastic recipes to the blog!

The Blonde Duck said...

As soon as I get back into town I'm making this for dinner!

Lucy..♥ said...

Ooooh!! Bunny & Carol... did I miss my invite to this fabulous dinner? What a wonderful meal, the soup looks outrageous, as well as those rolls, and oooh my that cake is screaming to me!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Bunny....Suausage and 'tater soup...eh...but the "adjustments" you made... oh, yeah, I am making that tonight!!!! Maybe use some chicken I have as Trapper isn't fond of Kielbasa....skip the cauli, maybe some more mexican peppers...
sorry, I can't leave a recipe alone for two seconds!!!
But the rolls...oh, yeah, they are stayin' the way you made them....they look so warm and tasty online!!!!!
Thanks for the step by step instructions!!

Anonymous said...

This looks heavenly, definitely a kind of dinner I'd want to come home to after a busy day! :)

Karen said...

Oh, those rolls look soooo good! The soup, too! Oh, yeah, and the cake, too! LOL Mmmm, good!

Frosting & Thread said...

potato rolls and flufernutter cake...mmmm yumm

Doreen Frost said...

I am absolutely thrilled to have found your blog...although..I fear it's going to be very distracting for me. Everything looks so wonderful ...I'm definitely going to give the rolls and cake a try very soon..and I know my husband would love the soup. I just made corn chowder a few minutes ago for your dinner tonight..and corn bread to go with it.

Take care,
Doreen

I've added you to my blog list and to the blogs I follow. :)

vanillasugarblog said...

Now that's a meal! I must steal this soup as I'm sure the fussy hubby would eat this.
What a great feast. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

All of these look so delicious! I love the rolls.

Anonymous said...

Soup, rolls, and cake. Not much can top that for a hearty supper.

Nazarina A said...

I bookmarked your page for the soup and the rolls. What a homey and delicious recipe and your rolls are to live for!!!!!!

Emily said...

Those rolls look like snails. Delicious snails.

They would go perfect with your soup!

Jessica said...

Could I come over for dinner, please?

grace said...

i'm with you all the way, bunny--start to finish. your soup looks thick and creamy and hearty, the rolls are adorable and oh-so-fluffy, and the cake, well...it's magical. :)

alexandra's kitchen said...

What a feast! And feat! those potato rolls look awesome. I am such a sucker for homemade bread. Or really, any warm bread with butter. I am definitely going to make these!

Fran Z said...

You ladies are awesome! what a delicious meal- start to finish!

Gigi said...

wow, i am drooling all over my lap top! What great recipe pairings. Oh how i wish i could have one of the rolls! ...yummy!

Meg said...

Fabulous post with, not one, but three outstanding recipes! YUM!

Anonymous said...

I'm like the other poster, when are you going to do this again and we will all meet you for dinner. Everything looks wonderful, and Bunny when do you find the time, between work and home, or did you really crack the whip at both places...good work ladies

Anonymous said...

never thought of adding sausage to my potato soup! I'll have to give this one a try.

I could eat soup for breakfast, lunch and dinner - no matter what month it is!

Ruth Strong said...

It's definitely soup weather here too and your sausage potato soup is a great dis for this time of year.

Thanks for sending it into the bookmarked recipes round up

T’s Treats said...

Holy smokes, can I come over?? that all looks amazing!! And that soup I so could go for soup now!! Great Job!!