Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Skillet Pineapple Upside Down Cake



I know , I know just another Pineapple Upside Down cake....nuh uh. Would I give you something ordinary, something run of the mill? The right answer is no...I hope any way! LOL!!  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.


 I've made lots and lots of Pineapple Upside Down Cakes because it's my husbands favorite cake, but never a cake like this. It's the cake part of this recipe that is out of the ordinary, not your typical upside down cake recipe. This is a sponge cake, it has no fat (butter or shortening ) in the cake. But it's the most moist cake you'll ever find on a Pineapple Upside Down cake. The fat comes from the eggs, beating them till thick and lemon colored , then beating the egg whites till stiff and folding them into the batter. It is this side short of being Angel Food Cake soft! This cake is melt in your mouth. Look how soft it is!



Oh did I forget to say you also make it in a cast iron skillet? Why a cast iron skillet ? The even distribution of heat that you can't get with a cake pan. It came out of the skillet like a dream. The cake recipe and the skillet baking make this the perfect Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Yes it's a little more work but once you taste this, any other recipe will pale in comparison. Ok lets get those cast iron skillets out ....we have a cake to make!


Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Grandma's Cookbook
texascooking.com

1/4 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup chopped pecans ( I didn't use these)
20-ounce can of pineapple slices, drained, reserving 5 tablespoons juice ( I used crushed pineapple)
3 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
maraschino cherries ( I put the cherries on top of the brown sugar before I added the batter)

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Melt the butter in a 9-inch cast iron skillet. Add the brown sugar and pecans; stir well to thoroughly combine, then turn off the heat -- don't cook it. Arrange 8 pineapple slices in a single layer over the brown sugar mixture (your 9-inch skillet should accommodate 8 slices without overlapping). Set the skillet aside. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl; set aside. Beat the egg yolks at medium speed until they are thick and lemon colored. Gradually add the sugar, continuing to beat. Add the flour mixture to the yolk mixture, and stir in the reserved pineapple juice. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the whites into the cake batter. Pour or spoon the batter evenly over the pineapple slices. Bake at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes. Cool the cake in the skillet for 30 minutes; then invert it onto a serving plate. Place a maraschino cherry in the center of each pineapple ring.

20 comments:

Daziano said...

I love upside down cakes!!!!

The Blonde Duck said...

That's so cool! It looks delicous!

Jaime said...

no fat in the cake?!? wow.

if your hubby loves pineapple upside down cakes, the next one you have to try is the one in my blog...it involves toffee....mmmm

Anonymous said...

Oh lordy this sounds so awesome, I have been wanting to do an iron skillet cake but always worry it will stick. I guess it won't!

Amanda said...

Wow Bunny that looks delicious! I've made many of these too, but will definitely have to try this recipe, thanks!

Jessica said...

That looks so yummy!! I love an upside down cake...especially this one!

April said...

This is my hubby's favorite too! I will be making this!

The Stay At Home Son said...

Oh, Bunny. What a great PUC recipe! This is my brother-in-law's favorite kind of cake, so if I make this I can keep earning points with the family.

Lucy..♥ said...

That happens to be my all time favorite UDC.. but I'm the only one in my family that likes it!!! Save me a piece.. ;-)

Made with the sponge cake.. that just has to be awesome!!!!

Maria said...

Upside down cakes are so fun for dessert. Yours looks gooey and delicious!

Lo said...

Am also a big fan of the updside-down cake... though I haven't made one in ages. This looks so very lovely -- and absolutely delish.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Bunny for the "blankie"!
Do recipes get stale? I made a pineapple uspside down cake for years...it was really good..and the last few I made were not done in the middle, then if I kept them in longer, they were dry....gremlins must have snuck in and changed the recipe (blasted menopausal rodents!) so I am going to give yours a whirl soon. Thanks for posting it...it looks yum!

Lori said...

That looks melt in your mouth good!

Marie Rayner said...

Upside down cake! I love, Love, LOVE the stuff!!! Looks delicious!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This sounds so good Bunny:D

Anonymous said...

Upside down is just heaven! All the good things are on the bottom till you flip it over. Looks delicous, Bunny1

grace said...

i'll bet the sponge cake soaked up all kinds of deliciousness from the pineapple. awesome recipe!

The Blonde Duck said...

Bunny,

I'm so glad you like the story about the diner! I don't usually write scary stuff, so I'm glad you like it! It's all I can do not to make it funny (though there might be a humorous twist for the next one, hint.)

Jacque said...

Sounds delish! I've wanted to try upside down cake in a cast iron skillet too.

didubai said...

This is such a dangerous page to get updates for :)