Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Butterscotch Finger cakes


Have you ever had a Tasty Kake Butterscotch Krimpet?? Oh are they yummy!  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.


Tasty Kake makes all kinds of snacky dessert foods and this is one of my favorites. I was lucky enough to find this recipe on The King Arthur Flour recipe site! My hubby thinks the frosting in this recipe is better than on the original krimpets.
This is a very good snack cake that will travel well in lunch boxes, if it lasts that long! If you were able to get these little gems but can't anymore make this and bring back those great Tasty Kake memories!

Butterscotch Finger Cakes
King Arthur Recipe Site

Ingredients

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
5 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk

Frosting
1/3 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon milk (if necessary)

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F, grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch pan.

2. For the cake: Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl at least once. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between additions. Add the extracts and mix to combine.

3. Whisk the cake flour, baking powder and salt together, and add to the butter mixture
4. alternately with the milk.

5. Pour the batter into the pan, spread it out, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is springy to the touch and a pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes.

6. After 10 minutes, loosen the sides of the cake from the pan. Place a piece of parchment ant a cooling rack on top of the pan, and turn everything upside to finish cooling completely.

7. For the frosting: Put the butterscotch chips and half of the butter in a heatproof bowl, and melt together over low heat or at low power in the microwave. Stir until smooth; if it looks a little broken, that's ok.

8. Put the other half of the butter in a mixing bowl with half of the confectioner's sugar. Mix until smooth, then add the melted chip mixture. Add the rest of the sugar and beat again until you have a smooth frosting. Add the milk if necessary to make the frosting a spreadable consistency.
9. To assemble: Spread the frosting evenly over the inverted cake. To invoke the traditional Krimpet waviness, use a cake comb to put waves in the frosting.
10. Cut the cake in thirds lengthwise, then in nine rows of one and a half-inch strips to make 27 pieces.

40 comments:

Reeni said...

I used to love Tastycakes! I haven't had one in years. These look really scrumptious!

Elyse said...

Yum...this looks so delicious. In fact, I think it'd be downright dangerous to have around...pretty sure I wouldn't be able to stop myself from snacking on the entire cake.

Emily said...

These butterscotch finger cakes look delicious! I'd love to try some.

Kendra said...

We don't have Tastycakes in the south...pooh..this looks wonderful however!

Gigi said...

OH MY GOD BUNNY ...I LOVE YOU! I have 3 bags of butterscotch chips from Christmas and have not found any recipes that I thought I would like. Until now! Yes, I love Tasty Cakes and will definitely be making these ASAP! THANK YOU for sharing this recipe.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Bunny thanks for sharing the recipe! I've never had one of those Tasty cakes. Guess if I'm missing out I need to just make "yours" especially if your honey is giving it a thumb's up!
~ingrid

Marie Rayner said...

I have never had a tasty cake. Your version looks delicious and I have printed the recipe out to try!

Garden Gnome said...

OOOO I cant wait i love tasty cakes and you cant get them here.....YUMO

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Oh man those Butterscotch Krimpet's were always my favorites! My Nana always had them in her house. You just brought back a huge flood of memories for me. I am so making these! Thanks so much, you made my day!

vanillasugarblog said...

Before I met my hubby he used to live off of take out pizza, Coke and Tasty Cakes. I finally broke him of that awful habit of eating things from a box. Granted I still can't get him to eat as much fruits & veggies as I like, but we're getting there. But as I treat I would love to make this cake as it's way healthier than those awful chemicals found in the tasty cake box.
Really nice Bunny!

CookingCourtney said...

those look so good! i love butterscotch, i'll have to try this sometimes

Donna-FFW said...

Wow, my children love tastycakes. I am so going to have to try these. They look delicious. I want one for me too!

Meg said...

These look amazing! I love butterscotch. Your treats have the perfect caramel color!

Deeba PAB said...

That's just finger-licking good bunny. Now if I could get my hands on one of those bags that Gigi has stashed sinc Christmas, then I know what I would make...LOL!! YUM!!

Leslie M. said...

Looks delish! Nothing store bought could top this, are you kidding me! You are too humble!
Leslie
LeslieVeg@msn.com
http://leslielovesveggies.blogspot.com/

Karen said...

Wow, I've never heard of Tasty Cakes! (Where have *I* been??) I love butterscotch and these look so good.

Anonymous said...

This looks so amazing and yummy. I love butterscotch. Very nice Bunny!

Heather said...

ohhhhhhhh. my husband and i love krimpets! this looks like a much more sophisticated version! and so tasty!!

grace said...

how have i never had anything like this? i can't believe it, given my love for those darn butterscotch chips. thanks for the recipe, bunny!

Maria said...

I love snacky cakes!! I bet I will snack my way right through this one!

Fran Z said...

I'm up for butterscotch anytime! Thanks Bunny!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

My special memory of Krimpets is in college. The campus bakery would put together gift baskets that parents could arrange for students to have on certain holidays. My mother often bought them for me. Krimpets were always in the basket. This post is quite a trip down memory lane.

Dewi said...

Sounds really delicious Bunny.
Cheers,
Elra

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Bunny I made these today and they came out great! I'll be blogging them soon! Thanks so much, my Mom can't wait to try one!

Jacque said...

Mmm, that icing looks very tasty. Glad you found a winner recipe.

MaryBeth said...

I love a good tasty cake..we found some at Christmas that was chocolate and mint, my husband is drooling over your butterscotch version, it looks great.

Jaime said...

yum, i love butterscotch!

you have to try the flourless chocolate cake - so easy!! Dorie's Almost Fudge Gateau is fabulous too and is almost flourless!

Theresa said...

Looks better than Tastycakes!!!

Teresa said...

Wow they look delicious.

Sock Monkey said...

Yummy!

Howdy! Dropping by fromm sits. Meet Sock Monkey. He is looking forward to meeting new people.

Sock Monkey
CampSockMonkey

Lori said...

One of my favs growing up. They didnt have them in NY so when we visited our relatives in PA, we would get a little treat!

I bet these are much better.

Lucy..♥ said...

Looking good Bunny!! I must try this knock off cause it's making me wanting a piece..... like right now!!!

How's little Chloe doing???

The Blonde Duck said...

I could probably eat the whole pan!

Jennifer said...

Wonderful job!!! They look superbly yummy!!!

Nazarina A said...

Is it not funny how one can fall for butterscotch? I have, and so I see you have too! We have that same affinity for King Arthur flour as well ha! ha! ( I don't know why I keep saying Mc Arthur's.) I visited the plant in North Carolina!
Your cake looks so moist and delicious!

Anonymous said...

Looks good Bunny!

Ivy said...

It looks beautiful.

Gloria Baker said...

These look fantastic Bunny!!! xxGloria

Rob Sullivan said...

All of your recipes look wonderful

http://www.cobrapest.com

eatme_delicious said...

I've never had tasty cakes or heard of them but these butterscotch finger cakes look delicious!!