Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

Jumbo Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies

Jumbo Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies




I've made a lot of chocolate chip recipes trying to find "the one". You know the one that has everything you want, the texture and taste your craving, the perfect bakery style cookie you can make at home. This is that cookie recipe for me!  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.


 I found this on Recipelink. It was posted by Rita Nader Haikenfield. Rita is a chef, syndicated columnist and author. Thank you Rita!!! Go visit Rita at about.eating and see all her free recipes! This is a recipe based on cookies from restaurants like Max and Erma or Panera's and other fine bakeries. The key to this recipe is melting the butter , not creaming it. Some time ago I did a search to find out how to make really good chocolate chip cookies and found this link, Secrets of really good chocolate chip cookies. One of the things this article says is to melt the butter and mix it with the sugars. I've been looking for a recipe that used melted butter ever since I found that link and I finally found one. These cookies are outrageously good!!



There are a few differences in this recipe than in others you'll see. This recipe uses 2 egg yolks along with 2 large eggs, adding more fat to the dough makes these cookies SOFT!! As I said , the butter is melted then added to the sugars and there is also 4 teaspoons of vanilla in the cookie dough. I baked these at the shorter baking time of 17 minutes , let them cool on the cookie sheet , then transferred to the cooling rack. I could only get 6 balls of dough on a sheet cause these babies need room to spread, they don't spread a lot, this isn't a flat cookie, it's nice and chunky. But they still need some room.


Picture cake and rolls 1325

This 1/4 cup of cookie dough is going to make you the best bakery style cookie you ever tasted!



Picture cake and rolls 1335

MAX AND ERMA'S STYLE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

(Jumbo Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies with Variations)

Found on Recipelink

Posted by Rita Nader Haikenfield



3 1/3 cups all purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 sticks butter, melted and cooled

1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar, light or dark

1/2 cup regular sugar

2 egg yolks, large, room temperature

2 large eggs, room temperature

4 teaspoons vanilla

2 cups semi sweet chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate or peanut butter chips or chunksOptional but good: a handful of chopped nuts, coconut, dried cranberries, raisins, currants or cherries, etc.



Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.



In a big bowl, mix together the flour, soda and salt. Set aside. Beat both sugars and melted and cooled butter until combined well. Beat in the egg yolks, egg and vanilla just until mixed. Slowly add flour mixture and mix. Mix in chips and anything else you want.Take about 1/4 cup at a time and roll into nice balls. Lay on greased, sprayed or parchment lined cookie sheets and give them plenty of room, about 3-inches apart. Bake until edges look light gold but centers are puffy looking and still soft, about 17 to 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes on baking sheets and then put on rack to finish cooling.



Tips from Rita’s kitchen:• Normally, baking with butter instead of shortening will produce a crisp cookie but when the butter is melted this keeps the cookie chewy. The reader told me that the extra egg yolks help keep it tender, as well. This makes sense, since egg yolk is fat and fat makes a cookie tender.• All brown sugar starts out the same: it’s merely white sugar with molasses added. Light brown sugar has less molasses than dark.• If you leave the cookies on a hot baking sheet after removing from the oven, the residual heat in the pans allows the cookies to continue to bake, keeping the cookies chewy.

`Source: about.eating with Rita Nader Haikenfield

43 comments:

Dewi said...

Perfect, this is what I need... it's been raining since Friday here. A bowl of down to earth soup always help to cheer me up.
Cheers,
ELra

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Soup sounds good. I'm starving. Great great photo too Carol!

Bunny,send me a cookie...pleeeese?! Those look awesome.
~ingrid

Lucy..♥ said...

Carol, this chic has a cold and a bowl of that wonderful soup would make me feel so much better!

And... Bunny what would make me feel even better, is a cookie or 2...that would be great!! All looks so good ;-)

Karen said...

The soup looks so good. I love orzo in soups. And those cookies... YUMMY!

Anonymous said...

I'm always amazed at the beautiful and tasty looking food over...it's gorgeous!

Elyse said...

That soup looks quite yummy, but oh those cookies, those look amazing. I love Max & Erma's cookies! When they come hot from the oven, still on the cookie tray, there's not much better. And now I can have them at home!! How wonderful!

Maria said...

The cookies are huge!! I love them!

Reeni said...

The soup looks so delicious and comforting-everything a soup should be! What a gorgeous bowl! The cookies are mouth-watering scrumptious!!

vanillasugarblog said...

it is still cold out isn't it? but I did hear on NECN channel (you must get that since you are in new england), that the major storms, they think are pretty much over.
so, yes, spring is a coming!
But I'm still making soup until I can wear my comfy flip flops!

Donna-FFW said...

Wow.. perfect, the soup looks so creamy and welcoming, and the cookies, oh god, the cookies, are amazing! Love the big size, so delicious!

Amanda said...

Oh my, they BOTH look fabulous! YUM! I'm eating some Sopa Fideo right now, still left over from my blog post a week or so ago. Still good too! Only one more bowl left in the container though, boohoo!

Heather said...

mmmm. i don't know where to start - they both look so, so good! i love orzo in soup. those cookies look just amazing!! i almost ate my computer screen ;)

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

I'll always try a cookie when someone says it's "The One"! Those look amazing. Bookmarking now!

The Blonde Duck said...

Those cookies look straight out of a bakery! I'm so hungry!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Wow. Those cookies! Yummy.

It's soup weather around these parts too. I have a lot of chicken stock to use up right now and I need all the soup suggestions I can get.

Lori said...

Those cookies look amazing! Oh how I would like to eat it, guilt free!

Fran Z said...

always so tasty ladies!

Dragon said...

I could really use some of that gorgeous chicken soup today. Yum!

Unknown said...

I love your recipes they look so delicious!

Meg said...

I'll take some soup and a yummy cookie right now! YUM!

Sharon said...

My darn computer is messed up so I can't see your photos...but can dream about how tasty this meal must look! I would give anything for one of those chewy cookies right now!

Leslie M. said...

There is nothing like Homemade soup and Fresh baked chocolate chips cookies! ahhhhhh HOME!
Yours looks yummy!
Leslie
LeslieVeg@msn.com
http://leslielovesveggies.blogspot.com/

grace said...

of course that's a great soup, but i'm smitten with the massive cookie. bravo, to the both of you!

Kendra said...

That soup looks fabulous...warm and hearty..just my style :)

Barry C. Parsons said...

I made the cookies for the kids for when they got home from school yesterday and they were a huge hit! There was considerable lunchbox envy today when two more made it to school with them today. Great recipe; thanx for sharing.

pigpigscorner said...

I've never thought of using parsnips in soups either! I'll give it a try, I love soups. The choc chip cookies look amazing! I'm bookmarking this!

Kiezie said...

This soup looks fantastic, I can't wait to try it. And the cookies! Oh, I love homemade cookies!!!!

Jaime said...

both the soup and cookies look comforting!

MaryBeth said...

I could really go for this soup tonight, I am so cold and of course about 2 or 3 of them big cookies.

Unknown said...

a comfort soup plus a comfort cookie, what more could i ask for??? :)

Marie Rayner said...

Everything looks so good Bunny! Those cookies make me want to just reach into the screen and grab one!

Laurie said...

Those do look (and sound) like the best chocolate chip cookies ever.

I love soup so much I could eat it every day for the rest of my life. Love parsnips and every single root vegetable. In my neck of our state, Eastham turnips are famous and the ones harvested after the first frost are the sweetest.

CookingCourtney said...

that soup looks very good. perfectt for a rainy day!

Lisa said...

That soups looks delicious. I would love to have some for dinner tonight. And the cookie is beautiful! It has wonderful height and texture. This recipe seems well worth trying.

Anonymous said...

Max & Erma cookies yes!! Every time I go there I order a cookie dough milkshake, a fresh cookie, and a salad to call it even. :)

Anonymous said...

Both look yummy. I might sneak a cookie before my soup though :)

Jacque said...

Oh my goodness, both of those look wonderful and perfect for these lingering, cold winter days.

Wow, I'm going to dream about soup and CC cookies tonight :)

Anonymous said...

man oh man is that a cookie! looks delectable. almost as delectable as that soup. So comforting!

PS: I've moved: www.alexandracooks.com

giz said...

I'm not sure what I want first - maybe both together - what a combination that would make.

Proud Italian Cook said...

You 2 never cease to amaze me with all your good cooking and baking going on!
I only wish I lived closer darn it!

giz said...

Alright already - you convinced me - jeez...now I have to bake chocolate chip cookies :). Too bad the arm twist wasn't very hard. Judging from the recipe it looks like you got about 24 or so cookies - is that about right?

Winelady Cooks said...

Hi Mary, my family loves chocolate chip cookies so I'm always on the hunt for new recipes to try. This bakery style cookie recipe sounds delicious I can't wait to try it.

Thanks so much for sharing,
Joanne/WineLadyCooks

Bunny said...

Thank you for stopping by Joanne, you'll love the cookies!