Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Nutella Brownies and Peanut Butter Pinwheel Cookies


Photobucket

Our 12 year old daughter Amanda has been asking for brownies, she's the brownie princess of the house. She doesn't like fancy , I've tried putting cherries in them, nuts etc... but no deal. She just wants brownies.  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title
I've never made anything with Nutella. But these brownies looked so good I couldn't wait to crack that jar open and make them! The smell of baking brownies filled the house and Amanda couldn't wait to get her hands on one. She couldn't even wait for them to cool, she had one warm out of the pan all gooey and soft. I added about a third of a cup of Nutella to the batter and a handful of milk chocolate chip as suggested by the Donna Diegel from the Providence Food Examiner where this recipe came from . The rest of the Nutella went on top as a frosting. Pure chocolate heaven I tell ya!!


Photobucket

You can decorate these by putting chocolate chips or nuts on top but Amanda loved these just so in all they're fudgy gooeyness.

Wanna print just the recipe, click here!


Nutella Chocolate Fudge Brownies
Providence Food Examiner

Ingredients:

4 - one ounce squares unsweetened chocolate
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 Tablespoons pure vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup chopped nuts and/or chocolate chips, optional
1/2 - 1 whole jar of Nutella


How To Make Nutella Chocolate Fudge Brownies:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter or spray and flour a 9 X 13 inch glass or non-stick baking pan.
Melt unsweetened chocolate and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Do not burn. Remove from heat.
Using a wooden spoon or spatula, add sugar and stir until well mixed.
Add eggs, vanilla and salt and beat well with a wooden spoon.
Fold in flour and mix just until smooth. Do not over mix. This is also the time to fold in chopped nuts & chocolate chips.
Pour into prepared pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
Cool for about 15 minutes, then spread desired amount of Nutella over warm brownies.
Sprinkle with more nuts, chips sprinkles or whatever else you like!
Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Yields from 16-24 servings depending on size.



Peanut Butter Pinwheel Cookies

 photo DSCF5024-1_zpsd2fff301.jpg


This recipe came from The Canadian Living recipe site, it caught my eye because I've never seen peanut butter pinwheels before. Peanut butter is a big favorite of my husbands so I decided to try them. The recipe said to refrigerate the dough for 45 minutes but that wasn't long enough for my dough to chill up to roll out. Next time I'll chill the dough a couple hours before rolling and spreading the chocolate. This is a very tender cookie with lots of peanut butter flavor and a nice chocolate swirl in the middle. I didn't have semi sweet chocolate so I used milk chocolate chips, the swirl would be more prominent with the semi sweet chocolate....next time. Peanut butter and chocolate is a classic combination well loved in this family and these will be made again!! My Mother's Day present is an ice cream machine that will hopefully be here this week, it's being shipped. I was thinking .....chocolate ice cream with bits of this cookie thrown in for good measure, YUM!! I'll let you know how it turns out!

Photobucket


Wanna Print just the recipe, click here!


Peanut Butter Pinwheel Cookies

Canadian Living


Ingredients:
1 cup (250 mL) butter, softened
1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
1 cup (250 mL) smooth peanut butter
1 egg
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt

Filling:
6 oz (175 g) semisweet chocolate chips1 tsp (5 mL) butter


Preparation:
In large bowl, beat butter until fluffy; gradually beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in peanut butter, egg and vanilla until smooth. Combine flour, baking soda and salt ; gradually mix half into peanut butter mixture. Using hands, mix in remaining flour mixture to form stiff dough; refrigerate for 45 minutes.


Filling:
Meanwhile, melt chocolate with butter in bowl over hot (not boiling) water. Let cool.
Divide dough in half. On lightly floured surface, roll each half into 10- x 8-inch (25 x 20 cm) rectangle. Spread each rectangle with half of the chocolate mixture. Starting from long side, roll up each rectangle jelly roll-style to form 2 long rolls. Wrap separately, seam side down, in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, at least 8 hours or up to 12 hours.

Using sharp knife, cut into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices. Place 1-1/2 inches (4 cm) apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to rack; let cool. (Can be stored in airtight container for up to 1 week)

64 comments:

Eliana said...

The brownies looks amazing. In my book, Nutella is one of the world's best culinary inventions.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

These all look good, but wow... Nutella Brownies... hello!!!

Katy ~ said...

I am an easy touch for oatmeal brownies. Maybe I can give them a go this weekend; I think I have all the ingredients on hand. Can't wait to try them after your glowing review! Plus they're so nice for a little snack during the workday for a little pick-me-up or reward. YUM!

Sara said...

Wow, you have been a busy baker! Those brownies look like perfection.

Donna-FFW said...

Holy Cow, have you been busy. All of these look delicious. But those nutella brownies, holy lord, they look awesome, fantastic, and so very indulgent. I LOVE all your choices.

Barbara Bakes said...

Wow - you've been baking up a storm. I've been trying to avoid buying Nutella to save on calories, but I may have to break down and give this recipe a try!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I love nutella so these are perfect. You are giving me a sweet tooth1

Cristine said...

Everything looks great! I am going to make those Nutella brownies ASAP! Nutella is my weakness. I always have a jar in the house. Those brownies look TO DIE FOR! :) Thanks for sharing!

alice said...

Everyting looks so good, where to start???
I have been looking for a chewy oatmeal cookie, I think I will give these a try. And love nutella, I have been known to eat it right out of the jar! The brownies look delicious! thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

I have to try these brownies.
My son loves brownies and he wants them plain no nuts no chips.
Ooey and Gooey is just perfect...this child prefers brownie for his birthday over cake!

Chocolaty Lifestyle said...

The pictures are so great, and the recipes are fantastic...!! I'm sure that I'll try some of them :))

pigpigscorner said...

The brownies look soooo fudgy and yummy!!

Terri said...

Spumoni Cookies!! My husband's favorite ice cream is spumoni. I will have to make these cookies for him tomorrow!

Dewi said...

OMG, how could I not drooling over this brownies. It looks so moist and scrumptious!

vanillasugarblog said...

that first photo of the brownies is KILLER
I think the spumoni cookies have my name on them. Oh yes.

Lucy..♥ said...

Nutella, Nutella, OH MY!! Those brownies are screaming at me, for real!!!

Carol & Bunny each of those cookies are outrageous and looking mighty good... now to choose, nope can't do it!!

Heather said...

holy crap! those brownies look amazing!!

Linda said...

Drooling allowed on the keyboard?
I love all of these recipes!
Especially the nutella brownies.
My former exchange student from Italy loves Nutella. She made a cake for me with Nutella in between the layers. I am sending her this recipe. Great post, gals!

Risa said...

I can only imagine how incredible the kitchen must have smelled while these treats were baking. I am definitely going to try both of them!

Sharon said...

I am a sucker for anything with nutella! It's been awhile since I"ve had any so this might be the perfect excuse to buy a jar...

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

I LOVE Nutella! Love it. I love brownies....LOVE LOVE them. Now you show me a Nutella Brownie! OMG! Are you trying to kill me??? LOL Recipe came from one of my local papers too! How cool.

Reeni said...

What are you girls doing to me? The divine Nutella Brownies were plenty!!! The peanut butter pinwheels are so unique, and oatmeal cookies with cream cheese are always good. And did I hear spumoni? What a great idea for a cookie!!

Kristen said...

Those brownies have me drooling, talk about rich chocolately goodness!

Anonymous said...

Oh! Those brownies! Awesome!

Maria said...

I am in sugar shock! Everything looks SO good!

Gloria Baker said...

I love all but your brownies look really amazing and delicious!! wow!!!xxGloria

Claudia said...

There is not once recipe here I don't want to try. So, maybe start from the amazing Nutella brownies and make my way to spumoni (I adore spumoni. Of course I adore most all home baked goods, ice cream, I digress). Beautiful post.

Kerstin said...

Oh my goodness - where to start? Everything looks super yummy! The Peanut Butter Pinwheel Cookies are such a great idea!

grace said...

frosted brownies? that's just too much. and by too much, i mean just enough. :)
the cookies are all awesome too, especially those pinwheels. fun to see, fun to eat.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Wow everything looks sooooooo good, but those brownies...wow, I'll be dreaming about them until I made them! I am going to make them tomorrow afternoon. My children will love me forever!

Katrina said...

My favorite thing to make and probably eat is cookies. These all look great! I love Nutella!

Jacque said...

Oh my goodness, I want to make them all!

Cookies are my all time favorite to make too.

Debbie said...

Brownies are always a winner to me and I am definitely a cookie addict...please send some over now. They all look great!

Lyndas recipe box said...

You all have been baking up a storm! We are a house full of cookie lovers, so you've given me some new ones to try! The brownies are really calling my name right this minute!

noble pig said...

OMG the nutella and the spumoni...I love it. I was drooling down the whole page!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

You've just been nuts with the baking lately. I want to live in your house.

Nutella is one of the most beautiful things on earth. I want those brownies.

The PB swirl and the spumoni cookies were really quite clever ideas. Those are some fun cookies!

Lisa said...

These all look good but those brownies look amazing. Why didn't I think of adding Nutella yesterday? Do you think it is okay to make brownies twice in one week?

Shelby said...

The brownie looks so fudgy and yummy. I want to make these too, I bookmarked Donna's recipe but I really can't handle having something THAT good around me right now (cause I'd eat the whole thing by myself!

Ivy said...

The fudge brownies looks so decadent and the cookies are making me drool.

Melissa said...

I love Nutella! Nutella Sandwich-so good, Nutella straight out of the jar at midnight-sinful, Nutella Brownies-heavenly...

I've got to make these!

The Blonde Duck said...

I LOVE your nutella brownies and pb pinwheels! I can eat something and so can Ben!

Daziano said...

Oh, those brownies!!! Sinful! For mother's day I made a cake which was very close to your brownies, but imagine another layer of brownies and then chocolate ganache!

Kathy said...

These cookies look and sound delicious! Thanks to my friends, Carol, Joyce and Cyndy!

FoodieFinder said...

The brownies look amazing. When I saw your Spumoni post on TasteSpotting, I had to drop by.

YUM MO!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Hi Bunny... thanks for you nice comments about my strawberry muffins. I know you're going to love them! Feel free to post about them if you like... and feel free to link to my blog as well.

To answer your question, in my house, the muffins don't last long enough for me to freeze them (4 teens and a hubby... need I say more), but if I were to freeze them, I'd use the same freezing technique I use for all my baked goods:

Flash freeze the fresh/moist baked goods just long enough to firm the item(s) so it won't get squished when I vacuum seal it, then vacuum seal to keep it as protected as possible during it's stay in the freezer. (The Reynolds Handi-Vac costs only $10 and it works wonderfully!)

To thaw, KEEP THE WRAPPING ON to prevent condensation from forming directly on the baked item(s). If you plan ahead, thaw overnight in the fridge, otherwise you can just place the wrapped item(s) on the counter to thaw.

I hope that helps! :)
ButterYum

alexandra said...

Oh my, so much deliciousness going on in this post. I think those brownies take the cake, however. That texture! perfection. And I love Nutella!

Rachelle S said...

Lots of yummies here! I see you're a SITSta too, Hello!

I haven't baked with Nutella either, but I love it and am afraid I'd eat it all before I get to bake with it. lol

oneordinaryday said...

Oh! I have enough Nutella left to try your brownie recipe. Thanks!!

MaryBeth said...

All items look scrumptious but I must say my mouth is heavily watering for the thick, rich looking brownies!

Jaime said...

nutella brownies?! *swoon*

Jamie said...

Wow! My son is exactly the same - plain brownies and plenty of them. These Nutella brownies look fantastic, so moist, luscious and chocolaty!

And those chunky Betty Crocker cookies look just the thing for my son's mom!

Amanda said...

Wowie! I have to try some of those, especially the spumoni and the peanut butter ones :)

♥Rosie♥ said...

Hi Bunny,

Thanks so much for calling by my blog and for the lovely comment! I do hope you will call by again :0)

Love your blog so many amazing mouth-watering bakes *slurp* I am adding you to my bloglist...

Rosie x

Sarah said...

Nutella is my favorite pantry item! I will be making these!

Claudie said...

Dear Bunny
I admire your love of cooking... I on the other hand do not cook or bake that much anymore. Your blog is the only one I come to with food. Your getting my motor revving.
BTW You are my FEATURED SITE OF THE WEEK.
Love Claudie
xoxox
P.S. Warning you about the "Construction" going on over on my blog LOL

giz said...

The brownies - pure decadence and how nice of you to put my name on them...what? you don't see it - I sure do :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Okay, Ladies! My kiddos have kept me soooooo busy I haven't had a moment to do more than cook dinner for them this week. With that said lets see how all those goodies travel! Please?! :)Everything looks great!
~ingrid

Marie Rayner said...

Everything looks amazing Bunny!! I am drooling all over my shirt here.

Mermaid Sews said...

Wow, what a post. I am definately going to try those brownies, they will be a big hit with my french friends.

Sophie said...

Delicious! Especially those dense and fudgey brownies -yumyum!

Erin said...

Everything looks fabulous!

Unknown said...

the brownies look sooooo inviting... :)

pastry studio said...

Wow, what a grand assortment of cookies. And your brownies look like total perfection. Can't wait to make the peanut butter swirls! Thank you!

test it comm said...

Those brownies look so moist and dense and chocolaty and good!