I have this slight obsession with finding a sugar cookie recipe that will come as close as possible to my beloved Pepperidge Farm Sugar Cookies that I by at the grocery store. I love these cookies, I mean seriously they're everything that I want, soft, chewy and positively delicious! I wanted a recipe that would give me those cookies. I found a recipe that absolutely surpasses all my expectations!
To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.
I'm sorry Pepperidge Farms, I never thought I would say this, but you pale in comparison, yes... it's true. I don't ever have to by another boxed or bagged sugar cookie again, this is the one, the softest, chewiest , melt in your mouth sugar cookie I've ever made. One recipe obsession down....!. HA HA!!
Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies
Recipe from the Fallen Souffle blog
* 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup butter, softened
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 1 egg
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract (depending on how lemony you want them to be!)
* 1 tablespoon dried lemon peel
* 1/2 cup sugar for rolling cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Using a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and very fluffy.
4. Beat in egg, vanilla extract, lemon extract and lemon peel.
5. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
6. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and roll in sugar. Place on lined cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart.
7. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned.
8. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.