A soft, tender 8 inch square cake that is deliciously blueberry with a lemon glaze.
To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.
To Print Recipe,Click Here.
Melt In Your Mouth Blueberry Cake with Lemon Glaze
2 large eggs separated, (separate whites from yolks)...set aside
1 cup white sugar ( 1/4 cup will be used for the egg whites)
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour,sifted
1 TBLS all purpose flour ( to coat berries with)
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 cups blueberries ( fresh or frozen unthawed)
2 TBLS lemon juice
about 1 cup confectioners sugar
Mix the lemon juice and confectioners sugar together, drizzle over top of baked cake while warm ( not hot) or serve on the side.
Oven 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 baking pan with shortening.
1. Beat egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form, with mixer still beating, sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar over the egg whites, beat until incorporated. Set aside.
2. In another large bowl, cream the butter, add the salt, vanilla and remaining sugar (3/4 cup). Beat until well mixed. Add egg yolks and beat until creamy.
3. In a medium size bowl, sift flour and baking powder together. Beat the sifted flour alternately with the milk into the creamed mixture. Always starting with flour and ending with flour ( add 1/3 of the flour, then half of the milk, another 1/3 of the flour, and the rest of the milk, ending with the remaining 1/3 of flour) Beating until just incorporated with each addition.
4. Fold the beaten egg whites into the cake batter. Coat the berries with the one TBLS of flour and fold berries into batter.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Smooth batter to edges of baking pan. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, testing with toothpick for doneness. Start checking cake at 40 minutes. Cool on baking rack, drizzle with Lemon Glaze.