Thursday, June 26, 2008

Applesauce Jumbles with Browned Butter Glaze

I made these one afternoon before I had to go into work, most weekends I work evenings and I'm home by about 9:30. There were only 10 left when I got home. I couldn't blame the kids for eating them though, these are good.  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.

 This is a soft cookie with a browned butter glaze. If you put a browned butter glaze on my sneaker I 'd probably eat it! Just imagine, a soft cookie made with applesauce , cinnamon, raisins, and nuts with frosting on it, it's like a mini spice cake you hold in your hand. I put ground pecans in these and left out the ground clove (I'm not fond of clove) and substituted nutmeg for the clove. I've learned in this family that if I want to put nuts in something I have to grind them up so nobody sees them, then they'll eat them. Otherwise they see nuts and say eeeewwwww! When I made the glaze I used 3 tbls of hot water, that gave me the consistency I wanted for dipping the top of the cookie in the glaze. You can spread it on with a knife or dip it. Enjoy!!

Applesauce Jumbles with Browned Butter Glaze

Betty Crocker Baking Classics

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp ground cloves ( I used nutmeg instead)
1 cup chopped nuts, if desired
1 cup raisins

Mix all the above ingredients together. (If dough is soft , cover and refrigerate). Heat oven to 375 degrees. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until almost no indentation remains when touched, about 10 minutes. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Cool; spread with Browned Butter Glaze.

Browned Butter Glaze

Heat 1/3 cup butter over low heat until golden brown, remove from heat. Stir in 2 cups powdered sugar and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla. Beat in 2 to 4 tbls hot water until smooth and of desired consistency.


Grace said...

oh me. oh my. the cookie alone would be delightful, but the glaze clearly sends it over the top. (and i prefer nutmeg to cloves too.)

Hollyhock Lane said...

MMMmmmm I can smell them from here! I wish you were my neighbor!

Anonymous said...

Unsweetened applesauce? or Sweetened applesauce?

Mary Bostow said...

Anonymous, it would be sweetened applesauce.