Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Cherry Cream Coffee Cake


 photo 2098641663_c85b381493-1_zpsd730f543.jpg


I made this cake for the first time about a year ago. I couldn't keep my hands off of it! It's sooooo gooooood!! Everybody I've given the recipe to says the same thing so I thought I'd post the recipe here and see what you think.   To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.


Look at it, it's moist, it's got cherries in it, it has a simple glaze and it's wonderful. When I made it a year ago I had a problem but I didn't realize it until I tried to get the cake out of the pan. The original recipe said to "spread cherries evenly over the first half of the batter". Well when I did that the cake came out in two layers with the cherries in the middle and it wasn't easy getting it out of that tube pan intact! I asked a retired professional baker how I could solve that problem and he said to "spoon the cherries into the batter" That sounded like it would solve the problem so that's what I did this time along with making sure that I stayed more in the middle of the batter and leaving room on each side of the cherries for the batter to come up and around the cherries, then carefully spooning the batter on top of the cherries, trying not to distrub them. I also tried to use more of the actual cherries than the filling or whatever you call it! lol!! When all the batter covered the cherries I just took my spoon and leveled the batter. I know that it looks like the cherries were placed on the bottom from looking at the picture but they weren't, They started out in the middle and worked they're way to the bottom. It turned out perfect this time. Getting the cake out of the tube pan wasn't hard at all. I just took a knife around the edges of the cake , ran the knife around the bottom of the cake and inverted it onto a plate then inverted again to another plate right side up. Please let me know if you make this, I'd love to know how you like it!


Cherry Cream Coffee Cake
Pamela Lanier's Bed and Breakfast


Ingredients:

3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp almond extract (the 1st time i made this I used vanilla)
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3 /4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling

Glaze:

Mix 3 /4 cups powdered sugar with 1 tbls almond extract and 1 tbls water,

Directions:

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and extract to the butter mixture. Mix to blend. Sift dry ingredients together. Add to the butter mixture alternately with the sour cream until well blended. You know how this goes, first the flour then the sour cream , ending with the flour. Spoon 1/2 the batter into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan ( I just sprayed the heck out of the pan with Pam). Place the cherries in the middle of the batter leaving batter on both sides, you will end up heaping the cherries on top of each other to do this. Spoon the remaining batter on top of the cherries, try to keep them in they're place in the middle of the batter. Level off the batter on top. Bake 1 hour or until done at 350 degrees. Cool about 15 minutes and transfer to plate. Top with the glaze.

1 comment:

rhid said...

This looks tasty! Moist - a little sweet and a smidge trat. I love it!