Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake



 photo 3347018841_818a4a4de6_o-1_zpsd2efca70.jpg

My husband wouldn't give me any peace until I made this for him. He saw the picture when I was on a hunt one night for recipes. When are you gonna make it?? When are you gonna make it?? When are you.... that's what I've heard for 3 days now! OK I MADE IT!!! And he loves it!!  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.


 This little goodie was made with yeast so this is going to Susan at Wild Yeast for her weekly event Yeastspotting . If you haven't gone to visit Susan please do, she has an outrageous sense of humor, you'll love her! This recipe came from the Crisco Recipe Site and it makes two 9 inch cakes. One of my cakes is almost gonna already. I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out very well. I took a couple of pictures so lets get started!

After the batter was made I let it rise in a warm place for an hour in a large bowl. After it rose I stirred it down and divided the dough into the 2 greased 9 inch cake pans and let them rise again in a warm place for an hour. Now it's time to take a floured small spoon and make 2 circles in the dough. I found it easier to use the side of the spoon to do this. Keep flouring the side of the spoon as you go.


Picture cake and rolls 1619

Make the circles about 1/2 in deep, your going to be putting cherry preserves into these circles.

Picture cake and rolls 1622

After the preserves are in the grooves this gets baked for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. It didn't take 30 minutes for this to bake for me, it was more like 20 or 25.

Picture cake and rolls 1630

Take the cakes out of the pans while they're hot and let cool to warm on a rack. Put the rest of the cherry preserves in the circles. Make the sugar glaze and drizzle on the cakes while they are still warm. After I made the glaze I was thinking how good a cream cheese glaze would be on this YUM!! I know I'll be making this again so I'll try it with a cream cheese glaze. I would also love to try this with different preserves in it or maybe CHOCOLATE!!!

 photo 3347037479_b2d64ff906_o-1_zpse09e8351.jpg

Wanna print just the recipe, click here!
Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake
Crisco Recipe Site

Ingredients;

1 1/4 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
1 (1/4 oz.) package active dry yeast
3 1/4 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
1 cup Smucker's® Cherry Preserves
1 cup powdered sugar
Milk
1/3 cup sliced almonds ( I didn't use these )
PREPARATION DIRECTIONS:

1. HEAT 1 1/4 cups milk, salt, granulated sugar and shortening in small saucepan just to boiling; cool to lukewarm (105 to 115°F). Stir in yeast; transfer mixture to medium bowl.

2. ADD one cup flour to milk mixture; beat well. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a thick batter; beat until smooth. Let rise, covered, in warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about one hour. Stir batter down.

3. SPRAY two 9-inch round cake pans with no-stick cooking spray. Pour batter into prepared pans; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about one hour.

4. HEAT oven to 375°F. Make a swirl design on top of batter about 1/2-inch deep with a floured spoon; fill grooves with preserves, using 1/4 cup for each cake.

5. BAKE until golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks until warm. Fill grooves with remaining preserves.

6. MIX powdered sugar with enough milk to make thin glaze; drizzle over warm coffee cakes. Sprinkle with almonds.

47 comments:

MaryBeth said...

As always everything looks so darn good, that cake is simply killing me, someone take the fork out of my hand please!!!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Yum! Those burgers look great and that coffe cake - oh man. I need to make that. No one here likes cherries, think I can use something else??

Bunny - thanks for your supportive words today. ((hugs)). I love my blogger family.

Dewi said...

Wow, I am loving this Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake!
Cheers,
elra

Anonymous said...

Oh good lord wow, those look absolutely amazing! Whoa! You people know how to eat.

Heather said...

mmmm. we love burgers around our house, too! yours sound so delicious - i love the texas cole slaw! and that coffee cake!! how delicious!

Sharon said...

I want EVERYTHING on this post!

Marie Rayner said...

Bunny, what a delicious looking meal!! I think I am going to try those chicken burgers but with ground turkey! They look fabulous!

Cristine said...

I seriously need to come live with you! All of your food always looks amazing. And I can't stop staring at that cake. Must... make... soon! :)

Lucy..♥ said...

When you two gals make a meal, all I can say is WOW!!!!

Reeni said...

I put my stretchy pants on so I can fully indulge in all this mouth-watering food. The Chicken burgers sound so good, I love the Ranch sauce on them. The cake is truly divine in all it's cherry glory!

Michelle said...

It all looks so delicious! I love stuff with jalapenos! I want the coffee cake now!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

It all looks wonderful. I was just wondering what to have for lunch.....any leftovers? Just cake? I'll take it!
~ingrid

Elyse said...

What a perfect meal!! Oh man, I love ranch on my hamburgers. It's the perfect combo: heat and cool. Yum! And this cherry swirl coffee cake looks just divine. All that cherry and icing. Man, I bet that cake is super moist!

Lisa said...

Fiery Chicken Cheeseburgers sound great! I love the spice. Nice looking meal all around.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

That cake looks luscious. I feel as if I could taste it just looking at the photo.

vanillasugarblog said...

oh how I would love to be, just for a day, a guest in either of your kitchens!!!

Kaitlin said...

Oh my goodness. So yummy. That coffee cake is calling my name..!

Jacque said...

You two always make me hungry!! and you make the best stuff!

Everything looks absolutely delicous :)

Fran Z said...

Another home run ladies!

Kendra said...

YUM...I love slaw....looks great Bunny!

Katrina said...

I'm full just looking at all of it! Especially that cherry coffee cake. Yum!

Shelby said...

It all looks great, but OMG that coffee cake is killing me right now. That would go great with my coffee this morning!! BeAuTiFuL!!!

Ivy said...

Everything looks amazing and I'd love to try that cherry swirl cake.

Jenny said...

WOW, this is one heck of a post! I love both of these recipes, very very nice!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful coffee cake! I hope you got something good from your husband in return for making this delicious cake for him. Now I would not have admitted I'm going to make it again -- make him beg for it!

Zesty Cook said...

oh WOW - this is my first visit here and I am loving it! YUM

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, what a feast. That coffee cake is calling my name. yippee for the weekend!!

Finla said...

Wow just looking to it makes me drool. Delicious.
Wish i had a piece.

The Blonde Duck said...

I want it all. Really. Esp. the burgers. Just step away from the table and no one will get hurt.

Elle said...

It's all lovely, but I really want to make that cherry swirl coffee cake...looks wicked good.

Proud Italian Cook said...

OMGoodness! You girls can put out a meal!! I miss having a burger, I'm a whimp, it's still to cold!

grace said...

floored. i am floored. i'll take my cheeseburger without the cooling sauce and just let the coffee cake bring my mouth back to the correct temperature. :)

Karen said...

Not a big cole slaw fan, but I sure like the flavors in this one! Is it okay if I have the coffee cake for lunch and the burger for dessert? ;)

Anonymous said...

That cherry swirl looks so good!

Lori said...

Wow everything looks amazing. Yup especially that pretty little coffee cake. I love how you do the complete meal.

Karen Brown Letarte said...

Wow, what a beautiful coffeecake! I could go for a piece right now! I've been following your blog for a while, but only just joined SITS-- so howdy! I have tried 2 of your recipes and they came out fantastic: the butterscotch finger cakes and the donut muffins, which I posted about today. I see lots of other goodies I'd love to try!
Cheers!
Karen at DomesticMuse

Daziano said...

I love this!! The ultimate American meal!!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have to try and stop my lips from smacking this meal sounds so delicious Bunny.

pastry studio said...

Oooooo, this looks outrageously good! I can almost smell the loveliness.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness!!This looks too delicious!

Mermaid Sews said...

This looks so good. While not a fan of cherry preserves, I will try this with my favorite bosenberry preserves with a lemon glaze. yum. Thanks.

Lynn said...

I made the coffee cake with strawberry jelly. It was so good. Thanks for the recipe.

Lynn said...

I just posted about the swirl coffee cake recipe. I linked to you.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an amazing meal!

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

Winelady Cooks said...

I'm always searching for easy coffee cake and snack cake recipes. Your Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake looks AMAZING! I have to make it. Thanks so much for sharing.

Joanne/WineLadyCooks

Bunny said...

Thank you for stopping by Joanne! You will absolutely love the coffee cakes!