Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Brioche Sticky Buns


Photobucket

I remember the first time I ever heard the word brioche, I was watching Food Network and someone was making sticky buns. She referred to the dough as brioche, the word caught my ear and I remember thinking....brioche???   To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.


That's dough why is she calling it brioche. I went off on a mad google search to find out more about brioche. And in the process I fell in love with it from a far. Yes a far, promising myself that I would make it....someday. Let's face it , it's kinda scary, well for me anyway. In my mind only pastry chef's made brioche. It's taken me a year to get myself ready for this challenge, but I didn't do it alone. Gayle from pastry studio blog talked me through it. I saw a brioche creation of hers on her blog, asked her if the recipe could be used to make sticky buns and she emailed me back. I don't think I could have done it if she wasn't with me on this. Unfortunately she wasn't standing next to me, but I was reassured by the fact that if I had a question she was there. And BOY did I have questions!!! LOL!!! But she was kind enough to share her knowledge with me and for that I am very grateful. Go visit her and look at her beautiful blog , her pictures look like they came from a magazine!! The journey started with the recipe I got from Gayle which I made last night at 9pm. This wasn't as scary as I made it out to be. The recipe Gayle gave me said to mix the yeast and water together, which was the first thing I screwed up on by the way! I was so excited that I through the yeast along with all the other ingredients ( except the butter) into the KA bowl and started mixing. But my mistake didn't ruin the dough, Baking Banter, King Arthur's baking blog has a brioche recipe that Gayle kindly sent me the link to and that's the way they made they'res. The dough is very sticky and loose.

Photobucket

Gayle told me the trick to brioche is incorporating all the butter into the dough. She makes brioche by hand, she's never used a stand mixer!! Yes she's that good!! While the mixer is running on medium speed with all the ingredients except the butter mixing you add the butter one ounce at a time until it's all gone. Here's the important part, keep mixing the dough for about 10 minutes, you shouldn't see any butter at all on the dough, if you do KEEP MIXING!! Here's the link Gayle sent me to Baking Banters post about making brioche in a stand mixer, it's very helpful! After the butter was all incorporated Gayle said to cover it and put it into the fridge, and there it stayed until this morning. Her recipe didn't require the dough to rise first then deflate and refrigerate. Just mix and put in the fridge overnight. I got the dough out this morning and let it come to room temperature, all that butter in the dough makes it solid, it didn't take very long for it to come to room temp, while I was waiting I made Carol's cinnamon roll filling and the Caramel topping. I wanted to be ready and not let the dough get to soft. When it came to room temp it had a different texture than before it was refrigerated and was very easy to work with, yes Gayle it was a DREAM!!

I rolled it out on a lightly floured surface.

Photobucket

I put the filling on within an inch of all the sides.

Photobucket

I rolled it up jelly roll style from the long end.

Photobucket

Then I cut my dough into pieces with a serrated knife, I kept flouring the knife as I cut.

Photobucket

Look at them!!! They're adorable!! After they were cut I put them in a 9x9 buttered pan with the caramel sauce on the bottom ( this recipe made to 9x9 pans of rolls). I covered them and let them rise.

Photobucket

They rose up and got puffy, I took a beaten egg and brushed the tops and sides of the rolls and into the oven they went!

Photobucket

You don't even know how excited I was to taste these!!! Flip them out of the pans onto a platter. take any goo left in the pans and slather onto the buns, if you can stand to wait till they're cooled off ( which you know I didn't ) eat one...or two!!

Photobucket

It took me all of 2 seconds to get one of these into my hand and in my mouth! These are the best sticky buns I've ever made!! They would have looked prettier with nuts on them but hubby doesn't like them. I didn't miss them, the dough was sooooo soft, the texture is amazing! I ate 2, Amanda ate 2, her girlfriend's ate....there's only 1/2 a pan of sticky buns left and Sam hasn't even had any yet, what does that tell you!!

Photobucket

This is whats left of my second sticky bun. Look at the inside of that bun, just look at it!! THANK YOU GAYLE for helping me to over come my brioche fear your the BEST!!!

Wanna print just the recipe, click here!

Brioche Recipe
pastry studio
Brioche recipe

These instructions are from the email Gayle sent me in her words.


1 T dry yeast
1/4 C lukewarm water
4 C flour (1 lb, 4 oz)
2 t salt
3 T sugar (1 1/2 oz)
6 eggs
12 oz butter, softened

Dissolve the yeast into the lukewarm water.
Put everything together in a bowl except the butter and mix. As I've said, I've never done this by machine, but there are enough recipes out there that you can see that the kneading by machine should take several minutes to establish that it's smooth and elastic. You can also probably do this with a paddle if you don't have a hook because there's a lot of butter and it's a crazy soft, sticky dough. [To mix by hand, it's more of a pinching of the dough between the thumb and forefinger of each hand, then incorporating the portions removed into the other end of the dough. That gets done for about 5 - 7 times until it comes together. Then you begin kneading the dough, which is accomplished by using your hands to reach out to the far side of the dough, get underneath the dough, scooping it up from the bottom and bringing it toward you so that the dough flips around and slaps down on the work surface. Do this for 5 to 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic - wish we could all be together so I could show you this!]
Then you start adding the butter, about an ounce at a time and let it become fully incorporated. Keep adding the butter and beating on medium speed. At some point, it will look like it's breaking. Don't panic. It will work through this and become a nice satiny dough. [By hand, the butter is incorporated using the same process as above, pinching the dough, then lifting it from below, scooping it up from the bottom and bringing it toward you so that the dough flips around and slaps down on the work surface. Do this just until the butter is mixed in. You will see and feel this when it comes together.]
Once you see that the butter is completely mixed in, stop mixing and place in a covered bowl or bag and refrigerate overnight. Your dough will then be ready to shape. Let rise at room temperature and always glaze with egg wash

Caramel Topping
Nook & Pantry Blog

Caramel Glaze

5 Tbsp butter
1/2 C brown sugar
3 Tbsp honey
1.5 Tbsp milk
Pinch salt

Sticky Bun Filling
Carol's Recipe

FILLING:
3/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
3/4 c. butter, at room temperature
2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon ( I only used 2 tsps of cinnamon for the sticky buns)
1 egg white
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix altogether with a mixer and slather on brioche.

50 comments:

pastry studio said...

Bunny, those are beautiful! I'm so glad you have mastered brioche and very gratified that you and your family and friends are enjoying the fruits of your labor. Brioche is truly delicious and quite versatile.

One of the great pleasures of blogging is conversing with people like you who have a love of pastry and sharing ideas and knowledge. Thanks so much for mentioning my blog and don't hesitate to get in touch if you ever have a question. I'll do my best to help. Best to you!!

And I must say that chicken dinner looks superb!

Reeni said...

The lemon chicken sounds like what I get from the Chinese restaurant. My favorite chicken!! Lemon pie-filling is so unique. I can't wait to try it. The sticky buns are divine, love the caramel sauce!

Kristen said...

Thank you for posting the this, lemon chicken is something I love to order that I never think that I could make myself, I'll have to try it out one day - looks delicious!

Claudia said...

Wow did you ever cook! I've been a slacker. The brioche are fabulous. I cook chicken ... well ... a lot. Love lemon-thyme anything and the rice is a perfect side. Great dinner!

Lynn said...

Those sticky buns look so good!

Dewi said...

WOW, let me eat the brioche first if I may, then that delicious chicken with the rice pilaf... Oh so delicious.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Bunny, FANTASTIC job! You go girl!

I'm not certain I've even eaten brioche.
~ingrid

Donna-FFW said...

Gosh.. where do I even begin?? The chicken sounds fantastic, the rice will be tried in my home, the string beans are a perfect companion. And good lord, those sticky buns are a dream come true.. I am in awe of the whole she-bang. Expertly done!

silvanausa said...

buono questo pollo accompagnato con fagiolina e riso io uso s empre il limone nel pollo porta un buon sapore
poi le sticky buns buoniii bellissimi

Maria said...

The sticky buns look amazing, great way to end the post:)

noble pig said...

What a concept with the lemon pie filling, I must try that.

Barbara Bakes said...

I fell in love with brioche on a cruise. I can only image how amazingly delicious these sticky buns are!

Coleens Recipes said...

BRAVO!! That takes courage (I know!!) The rolls look perfect.

Marie Rayner said...

Looks great! I have made a similar chicken recipe, except that I use lemon jello powder, not the pie filling. It was delicious and yours looks delicious as well. I love, Love, LOVE the look of thost sticky buns Bunny! Well done you!!

Cristine said...

What a fantastic meal and dessert! Everything looks amazing!

Finla said...

I lov chicken and it is somethingi make very oftne.
And that plate of food looks so inviting and yummy delicous.

Katy ~ said...

We (I should say I, Ole Sweetie-Pi eats mostly beef) eat chicken several times a week, so I'm on the lookout for delicious ways to prepare it. I really like the combination of lemon and chicken, can't go wrong with it! I'm not keen on a strong soy sauce flavor either so I'll certainly take your advice.

The rice looks beautiful! Passing that along to a family member who's allergic to potatoes and other grains.

And the brioche sticky buns! You are just too, too much! OM Stars!!

Risa said...

Wow, all these recipes sound delicious. I would never thought to use pie filling with chicken.

Anonymous said...

My eye went to the sticky buns. They are a favorite!
xox

Lori said...

Now you have me thinking of a recipe I make with lemon sauce. I just love lemon. Smear it on chicken, put on beans, I am lovin' it. And sticky buns, well, slurp. I'll take them too.

Steph said...

Skip the dinner and eat sticky buns!! J/k.. haha. The chicken looks really good. I love flavoured rice.

Lucy..♥ said...

Carol, what a wonderful dinner.. Lemon Chic is one of our favorites! and... Bunny, pass one sticky bun my way, oh how I could go for one right now!! Kudos <3

grace said...

i never thought i'd say this, but you can keep your chicken...i only have eyes for the succulent sticky buns. :)

Debbie said...

Lemon chicken with lemon pie filling...oh that sounds so good. Think I will have to try that! And you made brioche....very talented!

Ivy said...

What a lovely dinner plate!
And it looks healthy too. :)

Have a great day full of food inspiration. :)

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I made my first brioche during a snowstorm last year. I loved it! My cookbook that has the recipe (Baking with Julia) also has a recipe to make cinnamon buns with the dough and I have been wanting to do that ever since. You have inspired me.

That chicken recipe just blew me away. That's a creative use of ingredients.

Karen said...

What an intresting ingredient for the lemon chicken... who'd have known! I'm intrigued by the brioche dough... am going to take a look at the links and who knows... maybe make my own sticky buns! :)

Kerstin said...

What a fantastic meal! I would love one of those sticky buns - they look absolutely AMAZING!

Heather said...

that chicken looks delicious!! and the rice does too.

i've never made sticky buns, but i want to try - they look like they're a fun but challenging project!

MaryBeth said...

The sticky buns of course are out of this world good....But OMG that chicken must be fabulous in flavor, it looks so darn good!!!

Gloria Baker said...

All look wonderful dear Bunny, look amazing and tasty!! xGloria

eatme_delicious said...

Oh not fair of you to post those amazing sticky buns when I'm starving for dinner. I'm happy to hear you're over your brioche fear! I've only ever made it in a stand mixer, using Dorie Greenspan's recipe from Baking. (Which I'd recommend.)

Dragon said...

Mmmmmmm, lemon chicken [drool] :)

Juliana said...

I don't know what I would like...probably both. The chicken looks so appetizing, with the veggies and the rice. The brioche...I just love it. The pictures are very nice.

Jaime said...

that dinner looks great but the brioche even better!! mmmmm

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

This whole post has knocked my socks off! I love the way you prepared the lemon. I love with a house full of rice lovers and they would adore the rice. Great idea to carry the lemon flavor over into the rice too.

You sticky buns are way over the top!

The Blonde Duck said...

I could eat that whole pan of sticky buns.

Sara said...

Yum! Everything looks delicious. I have made cinnamon rolls with brioche a few times, but never turned them into sticky buns. That is next on my list for sure!

vanillasugarblog said...

girl when you do a post you do a post! not only do we get dinner, but we get dessert too!
amazing. I'm starving now....

Sandie said...

Ok...now that dinner definitely looks good, but those Brioche Sticky Buns are absolutely divine! I'll have one of everything, stat!

Anonymous said...

Bunny,
Do you think it would make any difference if I used Lemon Curd instead of Lemon Pie Filling? I would imagine the only real difference would be in the sauce consistency, since there's no starch in the curd.

Can't wait to try it!

Angela said...

Thanks for the chicken recipe. I'm allergic to wheat, but I have a wheat-free biscuit mix that I can use in place of the Bisquick. It looks great.

Jeff said...

I would never in a million years thought of using lemon pie filling in chicken.

Soy is one of those ingredients when I see a recipe for it I instantly cut in half. Way to many times I am burnt by it. Plus every brand of soy has different levels of strength.

Carol said...

Anonymous...I can't say for sure how the lemon curd would work in the sauce for the chicken because I've only used lemon pie filling in this...but it's so similar, why not give it a try? Maybe you wouldn't need to add water since the lemon curd isn't as thick as the pie filling?
If you give it a try-please let us know how it worked for you!

Carol :)

Elyse said...

Mmm, looks delicious!! First of all, that lemon chicken sounds fabulous! And can we just talk about those sticky buns? Brioche dough alone is enough to make me swoon, but with the caramel sauce and sticky bun filling, WOW! Looks fantastic!

Lisa said...

What an attractive combination for a family dinner. The Lemon Chicken sounds so interesting. And those sticky buns must be amazing!

Proud Italian Cook said...

You guys are killing me! Brioche sticky buns??? Lethal!

Kaitlin said...

Lemon pie filling with a savory dish, that is SO interesting! I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE lemon chicken, this looks fantastic!

Unknown said...

I love your post. I must have watched the same show on FN. I made a similar version and was petrified bc brioche sounded so fancy. I used have the batch for sticky buns, made bread with the second half of the batch and then made bread pudding with it. It was delicious. Yours look scrumptious! I wish I had a plate right now. :)

Bunny said...

Thank you Rhonda, it pushed me past my baking comfort zone and it was soooooo worth it!!