Pages

Monday, April 6, 2009

White Buttermilk Cupcakes with Pineapple Filling and Cream Cheese Frosting

 photo DSCF4691-2_zpsabb175e5.jpg

I was thinking Easter today, after all it's only 6 days away!   To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.


I have to work but my hubby and kids will be going to his mothers for dinner. So that means I will be baking something for him to take along. I've made this White Buttermilk Cake recipe as a 3 layer cake before but never as cupcakes. This is a very light moist cake that I can eat just so, without any whistles and bells , it's just that good. But since I was thinking Easter, I decided to make a pineapple filling and top it with a cream cheese frosting. Then I thought about sprinkling some coconut on some of them and topping them with cherries. So that's what I did.


This is an easy cake to make, it requires cake flour that I always make myself by measuring out my flour, sifting it once and taking out 2 tbls of flour for every cup of flour you have. So I took out 8 tbls of flour and replaced them with 8 tbls of cornstarch. I sifted 3 more times and measured out the flour I needed for the recipe. The only thing different about this recipe is that you beat 4 egg whites until they're stiff and fold them into the batter after it's mixed.
 photo DSCF4630-1_zps386c3cb4.jpg

Just fold the stiffly beaten egg whites into the batter.

 photo DSCF4631-1_zps8d18fc45.jpg

Take this batter and fill your muffin tins ( I used jumbo muffin tins) half way up with batter and bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes. Test with a toothpick for doneness. I was able to get 2 dozen jumbo cupcakes with this recipe.
 photo DSCF4633-1_zps50386b6b.jpg

They bake up beautifully!

 photo DSCF4639-1-1_zps7886154c.jpg


I wanted you to see how light and moist the cuppies are so I broke one open to take a picture...not so I could eat it, no seriously...( hee hee).

 photo DSCF4647-1_zpsf6600a45.jpg

I let the cupcakes cool down and started to make the pineapple filling. OH the pineapple filling!!! It's soooooo good!! It's like a pineapple custard!!

 photo DSCF4654-1_zps82d05720.jpg

I could sit and eat this with a spoon it's so good! Next time I fill these cuppies I'll take a melon scooper and take a little scoop out of the center of the cuppie and put the filling in, that would be easier than taking the pastry bag with a large tip and trying to fill it. The pineapple kept clogging up the tip.

 photo DSCF4660-1_zpsf739500a.jpg

All that's left to do is make the cream cheese frosting and decorate anyway you like!
 photo DSCF4677-1_zpsc1596cdb.jpg

Add a little coconut and maybe a cherry and you have pretty cuppies!!

 photo DSCF4674-1_zps1a6d0837.jpg

Wanna print just the recipe?? Click Here!

White Buttermilk Cake

Pa. Grange Cookbook
Submitted by Mrs. Frank Jacobs
Deemston Grange No. 1372

Ingredients:

1 cup shortening
3 cups sugar
2 cups buttermilk
4 cups sifted cake flour
4 egg whites, beaten stiff
3 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:

Cream shortening and sugar. Add about 1/2 cup of the buttermilk and beat until fluffy. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with the rest of the buttermilk. Add vanilla. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Bake as cupcakes at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes. Test with toothpick for doneness.


 photo DSCF4685-1_zpse6d1ec90.jpg

Pineapple Filling
Allrecipes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup white sugar
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup diced fresh pineapple
3/4 cup pineapple juice
1 tablespoon butter

DIRECTIONS
In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, combine sugar, flour and salt. Stir in egg, pineapple and pineapple juice. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture has thickened. Stir in butter. Remove from heat and allow to cool.


Cream Cheese Frosting

Pa. Grange Cookbook
Submitted by Mrs. John Espey
Center Grange No. 1870

I doubled this recipe and added enough powdered sugar to make the frosting stiff enough to pipe it.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 pkg ( 8 oz) cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup confectioners sugar

Let cream cheese and butter warm to room temperature. Beat them together and add vanilla. Gradually beat in sugar.

Check out these fantastic cupcakes with the wonderful flavor of mandarin orange!

36 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

What a great idea! They look so delicious. I especially love the coconut ones!

Lori said...

Pretty good? What are you crazy? How about beautiful, delicious, lickable, heavenly cupcakes. Okay that about describes them.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

MMMM, Bunny you're been on a roll! Those look awesome!
~ingrid

Eliana said...

What a lovely idea for Easter. These look lovely and are making me hungry.

Heather said...

those are lovely! pineapple is one flavor i've never thought to put in cupcakes. despite its all star presence in upside down cake! sounds delish!

Katy said...

Pineapple filling sounds perfect! What a terrific Easter treat, or anytime for that matter.

Well done! Pictures made me want to crawl into the screen.

Anonymous said...

Bunny! These look so good! And different! I would love one ;)

Deeba PAB said...

That first pic is a teaser & sheer torture Bunny...the cupcakes are beautiful!

Reeni said...

Those are so pretty! The cake does look so light and delicious, the filling delectable and the icing scrumptious! These are off the charts, Bunny!

Kerstin said...

My hubby would go crazy over these - he loves pineapple cake. I really like the picture with the coconut piled high on top - gorgeous!

silvanausa said...

I like very good

Kelly B said...

Just when I was about to go down a size...LOL!! They look delicious and I think we will definitely be making these for this weekend!! Thank you so much!! :)

Sharon said...

These look so light and delicious!

Steph said...

That looks like the perfect cupcake texture! I've always wanted to try folding egg whites into a batter, but I've been extremely scared about deflation and ruining the entire thing. When you beat the egg whites stiff, it makes it hard to fold in, but then when it's not stiff enough it deflates for me. I'm going to try a mini batch soon.. if I can get over the folding part!

Marie Rayner said...

Oh gosh Bunny! Those look and sound delicious!! Happy Easter!

Coleens Recipes said...

EXCELLENT photo...I can just "taste" the frosting.

Cristine said...

I want one right now!!! They look SO yummy!

Unfortunately, my usual taste testers don't like pineapple OR coconut!!! Crazy friends! I guess I'll be bookmarking this until the hubby gets home.

Amanda said...

Holy moly woman! Those look amazing!

Shelby said...

I love them. I have one question. Can I have 2 cherries on top? ;o)

grace said...

what a lovely and delicious-looking crumb! and although your frosting swirls are beautiful, i'm partial to the coconut-covered version. :)

Theresa said...

They look delicious!!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Looks marvelous! May I have a dozen please? :)

noble pig said...

The cherry on top is the perfect additon! beautiful.

Ivy said...

I can taste the Hawaiian islands from just looking at your cupcake. :)

Karen said...

Perfect for an Easter treat :)

kellypea said...

These are simply gorgeous. Love the cherry to top it all off -- perfect set of tropical flavor in a mouthful!

eatme_delicious said...

Whoa yum I thought those looked good but then to see that they're filled with a pineapple custardy thing - yummmmmmmm!

Dragon said...

You had me at pineapple filling! Gimme, gimme!

MaryBeth said...

A fabulous idea and a fabulous looking cupcake!!

Gigi said...

...drool... the last cupcake covered in coconut is calling my name. YUM.

Donna-FFW said...

You are my HERO with this recipe, pineapple filling. LOVE it. Love the whole darned cupcake.

Elyse said...

Oh man, this sounds delicious! The cake alone sounds amazing. But that pineapple filling and the frosting just send these over the top! WOW! I wish I could have one of these yummy treats right now :)

Lorena said...

omg pineapple AND cream cheese? I have to make these cupcakes. Thanks for sharing!

Jaime said...

YUM-O!

Maris said...

Love the looks of these cupcakes - they sound so light and I bet the cream cheese frosting is literally (no pun here) the icing on the cake!

Coco Cake Land said...

LOVE these! i love filled cupcakes... so awesome...