Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Cheesy Broccoli Rice


 photo image_zps6e8fdb92.jpg

I absolutely love it when I find a homemade recipe for a prepackaged food that I use to buy and really liked.  There's a lot of satisfaction in making something home made that tastes better and is healthier for you.  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.
My husband planted early broccoli this year and I happened to have a couple heads of it waiting to be used.  While net surfing for a recipe to use the broccoli in ,I landed on Buns In My Ovens blog where I found this recipe.  She made the recipe with zucchini, but since I had broccoli , her recipe...Cheesy Zucchini Rice became ...Cheesy Broccoli Rice.  And I'm thinking , in the near future it could become Cheesy Cauliflower Rice.  Pretty versatile little recipe we have here, and just as easy to make as the prepackaged rice.  I added a little more cheese than the recipe called for, about a 1/3 cup more so I added an extra splash of milk to compensate. I steamed my broccoli until tender and just chopped it roughly before adding it to the other ingredients.  I also added a teaspoon of garlic powder instead of 1/2 teaspoon, we like our garlic!  I have added my additions to the the original recipe in red.This is a delicious cheesy rice recipe that I will be making often! ENJOY!!


 photo 816C2AF3843EC11D09C6B5CA3BF40207_zps0a66ee62.jpg


Cheesy Rice and Broccoli photo DSC06993_zpsef4e2d9c.jpg

To print the recipe, click here.



Cheesy Broccoli Rice
Buns In My Oven

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup long-grain white rice
2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium or 2 small zucchini, grated (I used my food processor but a cheese grater would work well, too) ( I used a nice small head of broccoli, steamed and roughly chopped)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar ( I added 1/3 cup more)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder  ( I used 1 tsp)
salt and pepper, to taste
splash of milk, as needed  ( I used 2 splashes)

Directions:

Heat the olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
Add the rice and stir to coat. Toast the rice, stirring often, just until it starts to turn golden.
Pour in the chicken broth, bring to a boil, turn heat to low, and cover.
Cook, covered, for 15 - 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
Remove from the heat and add the butter, grated zucchini, cheddar, and garlic powder. Stir until well incorporated. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
Stir again and add salt and pepper to taste and a splash of milk if you'd like to thin out the texture a little bit.


Cheesy rice and Broccoli photo DSC07009_zpse3ba82b9.jpg

3 comments:

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Looks fantastic! I'm so making this!

Valerie's Kitchen said...

We have been on a broccoli cheese kick in our house so this recipe really caught my eye. It looks wonderful and I can't wait to give it a try!

Bunny said...

I loved this Valerie, it was so easy and good! Thanks for stopping by!