Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Creamy Blueberry Pie


Blueberry Cream Pie photo DSC07114_zps2cd489bd.jpg

I get so excited when I find a good recipe that I want to share ....people must think I'm a baking nerd.  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.
There she is with her miniature rubber spatula and whisk in her apron pocket protector.  LOL!!  It's ok, it's what I've done for 30 years and when you like doing something that much it's a pleasure.  I made a blueberry pie that is a little different and absolutely delicious.    Great summer pie!  It's creamy because it has sour cream in the custard portion of the pie.  Yes ,sour cream not milk.  You don't taste the sour cream, which allows the blueberries to come shining through!  The sour cream just makes it creamy.  Let's get baking, we're gonna make a Creamy Blueberry Pie! 

Blueberry Cream Pie photo DSC07054_zps411dba34.jpg

First we need a 9 inch  pie crust, the recipe said to use a deep dish pie crust, I used a regular 9 inch pie pan and put a baking sheet under it and it worked just fine.  Make a homemade pie crust or buy a premade pie crust.  Some people used a graham cracker crust and that did well for them but I personally think that would have made this too sweet.  It was good with a regular pie crust.  I also used frozen blueberries thawed under warm water and drained well.  Get your pie crust ready and place 3 cups blueberries in the bottom of it.

Blueberry Cream Pie photo DSC07056_zps49524c1f.jpg

Next we're gonna make the custard to go over top of the berries.  Combine your sugar, flour, salt, 2 beaten eggs and the sour cream.  Whisk them together and pour over the berries. Next time I make this I think I'm gonna add a little lemon juice to the mix, maybe a teaspoon.  Lemon and blueberry go so well together and it always brighten up the taste of blueberries.

Blueberry Cream Pie photo DSC07057_zpsddbb7da9.jpg

It's got gorgeous color already doesn't it?


 photo DSC07061_zps8b920fb2.jpg

Our final step is to make the streusel topping.  You may want to just half the topping recipe, it really doesn't need alot.  It adds a crunch to the pie, put doesn't need to be smothered in it, ( we want to taste blueberries not streusel) a nice layer just to cover the top is sufficient. I didn't use all the topping I made on the pie. Set your oven at 350 degrees and bake 50 minutes.  I put foil over the top of the pie for the first 20 minutes of baking to keep the crust from getting to brown.  Cool completely on a wire rack.  After mine was cooled I refrigerated it, it's so good cold!! This was so easy to make and so very GOOD!!!  Switch out the berries to suit what you have.  You can't go wrong with this pie!  Enjoy!

 photo 816C2AF3843EC11D09C6B5CA3BF40207_zps0a66ee62.jpg

 photo DSC07101_zps038e1a4d.jpg

To print the recipe, click here.



Creamy Blueberry Pie
Allrecipes

My adaptions to the original  recipe are in red.

Ingredients

3 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen ( if frozen thaw and drain well)
1( 9) inch deep dish pie crust ( I use a regular 9 inch crust with a baking sheet underneath it)

For Custard.
1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream ( I used 2/3 cups sour cream)

For Streusel topping
1/2 cup white sugar ( I used 1/4 cup white sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup butter

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place the blueberries in the pastry shell and set aside.
  2. Combine 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and salt. Add eggs and sour cream, stirring until blended. Pour the sour cream custard over the blueberries.
  3. In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup flour. Cut in the butter with pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle the topping over the sour cream mixture and berries in the pie shell.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
I covered the pie with foil for the first 20 minutes of baking to keep the crust from browning to much.

Blueberry Cream Pie photo DSC07066_zps5efaa73e.jpg

64 comments:

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

OMG! I am so making this this w/e just like you made the recipe. I can't wait! This looks delicious!

PG said...

This could very well become my new favourite pie. You've pretty much taken everything I love (blueberries, custard, crumble) and put it into one pie.

Suzanne said...

Looks so delicious. I can't wait to try it.

Tash1855 said...

I have this In the oven right now! I haven't been able to put it out of my mind since I saw it posted on FB yesterday!! I straight away made a pastry shell but had to wait til today to get the sour cream. Cannot wait to eat it!!!

grace said...

i stand by my belief that blueberries are the most beautiful ingredient ever. this is glorious, bunny!

Gloria Baker said...

Look amazing Bunny I love this recipe I bookmarked!!!xo

Unknown said...

Dear Miss Bunny...I found your blog through The Cutting Edge of Ordinary. I am so blown away by all your fabulous goodies. I've never imagined so many delicious recipes. Looking forward to checking out your blog lots and lots. Thank you. ♥

Michelle said...

I LOVE baking with blueberries! This one I must try!

Foodiewife said...

Between you and Lisa, I can see that I'll want to make this pie for my husband. Love your adaptions, especially with the streusel.

Anonymous said...

just made this recipe I thought the topping was a little sweet but it was a hit very good

Anonymous said...

I made this today and added a little lemon like you suggested. Delicious! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Will blueberry filling in the can work just fine wih this recipe?

Bunny said...

Im going to take a guess here and say that using blueberry pie filling may cause the pie to not set up as well as using fresh or frozen thawed out blueberries.

PG said...

I just posted about making this. Tasted great -- but I think yours turned out better than mine.

Anonymous said...

Part of me wants to take the easy way out: instead of going to the market for sour cream, I wonder if I could make some Bird's custard and substitute it instead of making custard from scratch.

BonnieBanters said...

Just heavenly looking!

Lori said...

Dang does that ever look good!

Anonymous said...

Made exactly as posted except that I added another cup or so of fresh blueberries. It was wonderful! Mine didn't look as pretty as yours--I didn't get the creamy white layer, it was more mixed together. I try a lot of new recipes, so I don't often make something twice, but I WILL make this again. It was pretty sweet, but I didn't mind. If you don't like things really sweet you could try cutting back on the sugar a bit. The crumble turned into a lovely sugar-cookie like upper crust. A great recipe!

Anonymous said...

A rhubarb version of this was the first pie I ever made. Eons ago. Guess its time to try it with blueberries.

Anonymous said...

This is the best damn pie I've ever made. It was eaten at and between every meal untill it was gone. Comes out looking real close to the pictures and tastes even better. Making it again tonight, and again and again untill the fresh blueberrys are no longer on the shelves.

Bunny said...

Anonymous, I'm so glad you enjoyed the Blueberry Cream Pie! On Wednesday I've got a Peach Cream Pie to post! You might like that as well! It's made with Fresh Peaches.

Anonymous said...

Could the 9"pie shell be the pre-made frozen type thawed?

Bunny said...

anonymous, absolutely you can use a premade frozen pie crust, just thaw it first! See if you can get a deep dish frozen pie crust, the recipe calls for deep dish. if you can't bake the pie with a cookie sheet under it just in case you have a spill.

Conita said...

I am making this right now...does the center still seem liquidy when it comes out of the oven?

Bunny said...

Conita No the center shouldn't be liquidy. The whole pie should be set when it comes out.

Anonymous said...

I made this on Saturday and it was gone within minutes and again on Sunday. So Simple but delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Bunny said...

Anonymous I'm so glad they loved the pie, and you made it twice and it disappeared!! If you like peaches, I posted a Peaches and Cream pie that is the same recipe , just using peaches. That pie is just as delicious as the blueberry!

Anonymous said...

Peach cream will be my next try.

Bunny said...

Anonymous, the peach pie is delicious! i hope you get a chance to try it. Thanks for stopping by.

Crystal said...

Hi, if this is made a day early should it be refrigerated? I am guessing so! If so how would you recommend warming it?

Bunny said...

Crystal, The Creamy Blueberry Pie doesn't need warmed up. It's best eaten cool or room temperature.

Anonymous said...

Warm with ice cream is the only way to go.

Unknown said...

I just made this with raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries...it. was. the. BIGGEST. hit!!!! Thank you so much!

Bunny said...

Everett GREAT!!! Thanks so much for coming back to tell me!!

Anonymous said...

I just made this it's in the oven now!! I was a little concerned making the crumble it seemed very light and not so much "crumbly" .... Guess I'll find out how it turns out !! I also added lemon juice to the custard and it smelt amazing

Bunny said...

Anonymous, please let me know what you think!!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Just made this for pie day. Minor changes I made: subbed coconut oil for the butter in the topping and added 1 Tbsp instant tapioca to the blueberries instead of draining the frozen berries after they thawed. Yummy. I wish I would have read the bit about halving the topping. It was a bit much. But overall, very good!

Bunny said...

Wonderful Celia! So happy you made it and liked it!! Thank you so much for stating the changes you made which will help someone else along the way! Thank you for coming to visit!

Anonymous said...

Made this pie tonight. I didn't thaw out the frozen blueberries and it still came out great. My husband and his friend enjoyed the pie and said it was delish. Husband asking for .seconds. Just one question is the filling supposed to be soft or suppose to set firmly

Bunny said...

Good morning Anonymous! The pie filling sets up firm. It might have been soft because the blueberries were frozen, giving the filling a little extra liquid when the blueberries thawed while baking. I'm glad you made it and it was a hit!!

Anonymous said...

This pie is amazing I made it for "pi" day last Friday and it was the first pie gone in the office !

Bunny said...

I am absolutely thrilled to hear that Anonymous! Thank you so much for coming back to tell me! WHOOT! LOVE IT!!

Anonymous said...

I want to double this and make two pies for the 4th (nothing more american than home made pie!) I'd like to bake them at the same time. Any tips, should the baking time stay the same with two pies in the oven? My oven runs a little hot.

Bunny said...

Good morning Anonymous, The baking time would stay the same, the time they're in the oven may be slightly longer but if your oven runs hot that might take care of that. Start checking the pies about 10 minutes before the bake time is up (because your oven runs hot) and check for doneness. let me know how it goes for you!

Unknown said...

Oh WOW!!! This is the BEST blueberry pie I've ever made! My son and I made this July 4th weekend and it's definitely a keeper. I just discovered your blog recently and now it's bookmarked. Thanks for the new family favorite! :-)

Anonymous said...

I just made this for a church get together. I used both peach and blueberry and it came out so beautifully! Thank you so much for this recipe!

Cate McC. said...

Ok, made one this morning. First time I have made anything with custard and I think I must have goofed it up. We haven't cut into it yet but it's jiggly as all get out (and been 'setting up' for almost 3 hours). I baked it a little over an hour because it just didn't look done to me, but how the heck do I tell? LOL And I didn't get layers, it all pretty much hooped together. Smells great and hubby is going to try a piece when he gets home, but for future reference -- what the heck did I do wrong?

Bunny said...

Cate McC, Fresh or frozen berries? If they were frozen were they thawed out first? I would love to help figure out what happened!

Unknown said...

I used fresh blueberries and it came out AMAZING! Probably one of the best blueberry pies I've ever made. Even my boyfriend loved it, and he's hard to please. Thank you again for this wonderful recipe!

Cate McC. said...

They were fresh. I washed and rinsed them and patted them dry. We just cut into it (decided to do that before the company got here, LOL) and it was totally runny and hubby said it had no taste. Is in the trash. Damn! I will try again, just not tonight...haaahaa! The kicker is that I don't like blueberries and I don't like custard -- this was for hubby and our friends. I joked that it knew I didn't want it...ROTFL! Will review everything and see what the heck I did. If I see anything, I will let you know, otherwise I will be trying again maybe this coming weekend. I'm usually a really good baker, but when I mess up I go full tilt. Grrrrrrrr.

Bunny said...

I wish I knew what happened Cate! I hate it that something went wrong. If you don't care for blueberries and you want to try it again theres a Peach Cream Pie that's made the same way but with peaches. If you try it again, email me and we'll go over the recipe together before you try it. malonebunny@gmail.com

Bunny said...

Thank you Allison!!! There's also a Peach Cream Pie made the same way if you'd like to try that one!

scarriemom said...

I made this yesterday and it was fantastic! I usually am horrible at pie-making, but this one was delicious! I brought it into work this morning and it's gone already. I think my co-workers approved! Thanks for sharing this fantastic recipe!

Bunny said...

scarriemom thank you soooo much for coming back to tell me you made it and loved it! It made my day!!

Anonymous said...

I think that I will be making this today for my birthday!

And since it is my birthday, I may not even share!!

lol

Bunny said...

Happy Birthday Anonymous! You share today with my grandaughter who is 2! Hope you have a great one and enjoy the pie!!

Krista said...

Happy Birthday, Birthday twin! it's also mine! Just wanted to say I found this recipe via Pinterest and it worked out perfectly. I had gone blueberry picking that morning and so we used fresh blueberries. it was amazing and everyone loved it when i brought it in for a coworker's birthday! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hello, do you think I could replace the blueberries with blackberries?

Bunny said...

Yes Anonymous, I think any berry would do well. If frozen blackberries, thaw and drain well. Let me know how it goes for you!

Jean(ie) said...

Thank you for posting this recipe. I made it today and it received a thumbs up from hubby.

I made few minor changes to your base recipe. I added 1 teaspoon vanilla to the custard mixture, and a wee bit of cinnamon to the crumbs )about 1/2 teaspoon-- just enough to give it a subtle kick -- barely noticeable. With a deeper pie dish I also increased the berries.

Keep posting the yummy stuff!

Unknown said...

Out of the oven.. Cooling on the rack.... Hope it tastes as good as it looks....

Bunny said...

So do I Danial! I hope you come back and tell me!!

Unknown said...

Mary, It was fabulous..... Best pie I've ever made... 2nd attempt at this pie is in the oven now.. I substituted Blackberries for the Blueberries this time....
Result to follow. ....

Bunny said...

Danial,you just made my day! Nothing is better than having you make that pie and have it turn out perfect! And the Blackberries!! I bet it's delicious and gorgeous!!