Pages

Friday, March 14, 2014

Incredible Salisbury Steak...This is comfort food!

A tender Salisbury Steak covered in sauted onions with the best gravy ever!
To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.
This Salisbury Steak recipe from Pioneer Woman is the BEST I HAVE EVER EATEN!  The woman knows her comfort food!  The first time we ever ate this Paul's daughter Leighana made it and brought it to our house so we could all have dinner together.  Is that sweet or what!  Which was no small feat I should add, she works full time as general manager of Panera Bread,was pregnant and running after a toddler to boot.    Paul and I ate till we couldn't eat anymore.  It was delicious, I of course had to have the recipe.  The gravy that covers the steak is so full of flavor!  It's delicious on mashed potatoes!  I made the Salisbury Steak with mashed potatoes and roasted carrots for dinner. The gravy can be tweaked to your liking, I added a dash or two more of Worchester Sauce and a Tablespoon more of ketsup.  I even took a little of my Better Than Bouillion beef base and added a 1/4 tsp of that to the mix.  I did make one adjustment to the recipe, I didn't have any bread crumbs so I crushed up some whole wheat saltine crackers and used those.  I also put an egg in the hamburger mix.  The recipe says to thicken the gravy and let it reduce first before putting the steaks in.  I thickened and put the steaks in then let it reduce and thicken.  I wanted them in the gravy soaking up all the goodness as long as possible.  You are going to love this recipe, this is comfort food to the max!  Enjoy!


Salisbury Steak

To Print The Recipe, Click Here.



Salisbury Steak
Ree Drummond
Food Network


Ingredients:

Meat Mixture:
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs ( I used crushed whole wheat cracker crumbs)
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 teaspoons dry mustard
4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
1 cube beef bouillon, crumbled (or powdered beef base)
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 egg ( my addition)

Gravy:
1 whole onion, halved and thinly sliced (or diced if you prefer)
2 cups beef broth, more if needed for thinning
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon seasoning sauce, such as Kitchen Bouquet, optional  ( I didn't use)
4 dashes Worcestershire
1 teaspoon cornstarch, optional
Salt and pepper

Directions:
For the meat mixture: Combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, ketchup, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon and some salt and pepper. Knead until all combined. Form into 4 to 6 oval patties, and then make lines across the patties to give them a "steak" appearance.

Fry the patties in a skillet with the butter and oil over medium-high heat on both sides until no longer pink in the middle. Remove from the skillet and pour off any excess grease.

For the gravy: Reduce the heat to medium and add in the sliced onions. Stir and cook until golden brown and somewhat soft, for several minutes. Add the beef stock, ketchup, seasoning sauce, if using, and the Worcestershire. Then combine the cornstarch with a little beef broth and add to the sauce if using. Stir and cook to reduce.

Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper and more broth if needed for thinning. Then return the patties to the gravy. Spoon the gravy over the top and let them simmer and heat back up for a couple of minutes.

Here is another easy delicious dinner recipe that is sure to please the whole family.







5 comments:

Winelady Cooks said...

My mom used to make us Salisbury Steak, this brings back memories. I'll have to make it from Grampy, he'll love it. Thanks for sharing.

Bunny said...

Joanne let me know what he thinks when you make it for him, I would LOVE to know!!

Unknown said...

For the gravy is that in a separate pan, or in the same one as the steak?

Bunny said...

Hi Tim! You make it in the same pan, but you remove the patties first. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Dan from Platter Talk said...

What a great looking and sounding Salisbury Steak! Thanks for posting this one!!