Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Applesauce Jumbles with Browned Butter Glaze


I made these one afternoon before I had to go into work, most weekends I work evenings and I'm home by about 9:30. There were only 10 left when I got home. I couldn't blame the kids for eating them though, these are good.  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.


 This is a soft cookie with a browned butter glaze. If you put a browned butter glaze on my sneaker I 'd probably eat it! Just imagine, a soft cookie made with applesauce , cinnamon, raisins, and nuts with frosting on it, it's like a mini spice cake you hold in your hand. I put ground pecans in these and left out the ground clove (I'm not fond of clove) and substituted nutmeg for the clove. I've learned in this family that if I want to put nuts in something I have to grind them up so nobody sees them, then they'll eat them. Otherwise they see nuts and say eeeewwwww! When I made the glaze I used 3 tbls of hot water, that gave me the consistency I wanted for dipping the top of the cookie in the glaze. You can spread it on with a knife or dip it. Enjoy!!

Applesauce Jumbles with Browned Butter Glaze

Betty Crocker Baking Classics

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp ground cloves ( I used nutmeg instead)
1 cup chopped nuts, if desired
1 cup raisins

Mix all the above ingredients together. (If dough is soft , cover and refrigerate). Heat oven to 375 degrees. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until almost no indentation remains when touched, about 10 minutes. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Cool; spread with Browned Butter Glaze.

Browned Butter Glaze

Heat 1/3 cup butter over low heat until golden brown, remove from heat. Stir in 2 cups powdered sugar and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla. Beat in 2 to 4 tbls hot water until smooth and of desired consistency.

4 comments:

grace said...

oh me. oh my. the cookie alone would be delightful, but the glaze clearly sends it over the top. (and i prefer nutmeg to cloves too.)

Unknown said...

MMMmmmm I can smell them from here! I wish you were my neighbor!

Anonymous said...

Unsweetened applesauce? or Sweetened applesauce?

Bunny said...

Anonymous, it would be sweetened applesauce.