Pages

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Texas Sheet Cake


Well today was Kelli's last day of work at the restaurant. She's part of our waitstaff and a wonderful young woman with a great personality and a bright future ahead of her. She was going to school and working with us at the restaurant, she's leaving for a job in physical therapy which is right up her alley. I often make goodies and take them to work for the girls, Kelli's favorite goodie is the Texas Sheet Cake. She loves it and requested I make it for her before she left us. She was thrilled to come to work today because she knew it would be there! I will never beable to think about this cake without thinking of Kelli too. And that's a very good thing.  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.



 This is a recipe I've made for years and once again it's a recipe from the Pennsylvania Grange Cook Book. I made one adaption this time , the recipe says to put 6 tbls of milk in the frosting, I used cream this time, and it made the frosting nice and creamy. I took the picture before the frosting actually set, it might have been a little to warm to cut it but I did anyway! The recipe might look a little weird to you, breaking it down into groups like this but that's the way the recipe was written and the way I've always made it.


Texas Sheet Cake
Pennsylvania Grange Cook Book


Ingredients:

Group 1 :2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Group 2:Bring to boil:
2 sticks of butter ( you can use margarine, but I always you butter)
1 cup water
4 tbls cocoa

Group 3 :In a small bowl beat:
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour milk or buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla

Add Group 2 to Group 1. Then add Group 3. pour into a greased cookie sheet (12x15). Bake for 20 minutes DO NOT OVER BAKE!! After cake has baked for 15 minutes start making the frosting.

Frosting:

Bring to a boil:

1 stick of butter (you can use margarine, but I always use butter)
4 tbls cocoa
6 tbls milk

After this comes to a boil add 1 box powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla. Spread immediately over hot cake. Sprinkle with chopped nuts if desired. I omit the nuts cause my husband doesn't like them.

No comments: