Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

English Lemon Shortbread Strips

English Lemon Shortbread Cookies

How could something so easy to make be so melt in your mouth good!
Shortbread cookies have been a long time favorite of mine.   I just can't resist these buttery, tender absolutely melt in your mouth cookies. It's just amazing to me how flour, sugar, butter , and in this case lemon too, come together so quickly and easily to make the best cookies ever.  The recipe said to make these in a 15x10x1 jelly roll pan which would have been more than Paul and I needed so I halved the recipe and made them in a 9 inch square glass baking pan. The baking time stayed the same, about 30 minutes give or take a few. I halved the glaze as well.  I decided to put the glaze on the baked shortbread straight from the oven so it would sink into the top as it cooled.  Oh my, this is so incredibly tender, buttery and moreish.  The lemon in the shortbread and glaze is just perfect.  You'll have to excuse me while I go sneak another nibble!  Enjoy!

English Lemon Shortbread Cookies

To Print The Recipe, Click Here.



English Lemon Shortbread Strips
Land O Lakes

( I halved this recipe and made them in a 9 inch square glass baking pan.  Baking time was the same.)

Shortbread

Makes 5 Dozen

2 cups Land O Lakes® Butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Butter, softened
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Garnish

1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest

Directions


Heat oven to 350°F. Combine all shortbread ingredients except flour in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add flour; beat at low speed until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Press dough evenly into lightly greased 15x10x1 jelly-roll pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely.
Combine all glaze ingredients in small bowl with wire whisk until smooth.
Spread thin layer of glaze over cooled shortbread; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon lemon zest, if desired. Let stand 30 minutes to set. Cut into 2 1/2x1-inch strips.

10 comments:

Charlotte Moore said...

I love lemon!! It might not be good for me to have these in my house. My husband is not a lemon person.


Just going to say you better be glad you halved the topping on the Sweet potato cinnamon roll cake. By the second day it was just a soggy mess where the cinnamon was. I am so glad I gave lots of it away.

Anonymous said...

such an attracting shortbread cookies :) lovely clicks ..

Sweet Joan said...

I also love shortbread, in any form! These sound luscious- well done!

Unknown said...

Yum! Pinned :)

Karin Anderson said...

I love citrus-y pastry. Good idea to glaze the shortbread while hot, instead of having it just on top.

Turnips 2 Tangerines said...

My husband and I both love lemon:) Can't wait to give these a try~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

I love lemony treats like this! Your English Lemon Shortbread Strips look like they would be perfect with a nice cup of tea :-) I've featured them in my Hearth and Soul post this week. Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

I made these last nite to take to book club and they are good. Not too lemony (which I was worried about) and they taste fresh and like spring! thanks

Bunny said...

Thank you ladies, these were so very good...uh dangerously good!! *SMILE*

Teresa said...

I made this recipe today. I had to double the icing for a 10x15" pan, but the recipe was AMAZING!!! Loved it and will be making it again!