Pages

Monday, May 12, 2008

Chopped Apple Cake



I've been thinking about this cake for weeks. It's a favorite of mine and was also one that my Dad liked. He really didn't care for traditional frostings , they were to sweet for him , but he did like this! This cake is full of apples. The glaze on top is made with brown sugar and butter, it makes this cake! The recipe comes from a Grange Cookbook from Pennsylvania that I've had for years. It's a mainstay in my kitchen, I have made some great recipes from this book.

To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title


 The only thing that I have ever changed in the recipe is the amount of cinnamon, it only calls for 1/2 tsp. I like more cinnamon with the apples so I use 1 tsp. I'm sure that if you wanted to add nuts to this it would be great, I don't because my husband doesn't care for any nuts except peanuts. For us it's fine just the way it is. It's a very moist cake that just makes you want to keep eating more!


Chopped Apple Cake
Grange Cookbook Pa. State
Adapted

  • Grease 9X13 cake pan
  • Bake at 350 degrees
  • Ingredients
  • 1 cup oil
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 3 cups apples, chopped
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
With an electric mixer beat together the oil, sugar and eggs, add the apples and vanilla. Mix the dry ingredients together and add to the apple mixture , mix until well blended. Pour (the batter will be thick) into the prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until tested done.
Glaze :
Start making the glaze when the cake is about 10 minutes away from being done. The glaze will be poured over the cake from the oven.
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tbls flour
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 3 tbls butter
Put all the glaze ingredients in a saucepan on low to medium heat and cook until it thickens and boils, let this boil for about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes , stirring to keep it from burning. Pour over hot cake from the oven.

2 comments:

Peabody said...

This apple cake looks lovely.

Helene said...

Love the idea of a simple and delicious cake like this one! I bet it is excellent with some whipped cream too!