Pages

Friday, May 16, 2008

Strawberry Pie

I came home from work on Wednesday and felt like making something. I asked my husband what he wanted, he said "make the pie". I said what pie? You know"the pie".
Alright I'm alittle brain dead cause I've been up since 5:30 am because today was my early day at work, your gonna have to be a little more specific. Strawberry Pie! Ohhhhh the Strawberry pie!!

 To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.


 I made this for the first time a couple weeks ago after we went to the farmers market and got strawberries. It was my first from scratch Strawberry pie. I looked for recipes online, but they all required unflavored gelatin, well I didn't have any. So, back to the Grange Cook book I went. I found lots of recipes, they were made with cornstarch. I can do that, no problem! I couldn't believe how easy this came together. Within 15 minutes you can have strawberry pie filling! This is one of those recipes where the possiblities are endless. Make the strawberry pie filling, and let your imagination run wild!! Putting a cream cheese layer on the bottom of the pie is the first thing that comes to mind! Or maybe a chocolate layer. How about using the strawberry filling for a cake layer. Make a parfait using the strawberry filling! If you come up with something different let me know !! Have fun with it. The crust for the pie is Paula Deens Perfect Pie crust. I posted the recipe below on the Peanut Butter Pie recipe post below this one. The pie crust is wonderful! The first time I made it, it was with the Apple Pie recipe that it came with for Thanksgiving last year. I couldn't believe how good it was! Paula certainly loves her butter doesn't she! But that's what makes this crust so good. Enjoy!


Strawberry Pie
Pennsylvania State Grange Cook Book

  • 1 qt. strawberries
  • 2 1/2 tbls cornstarch
  • 1 tbls lemon juice
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup water

Rinse and hull berries. Crush half the berries in a saucepan. Add water and bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch, sugar and lemon juice and stir into boiling berries. Cook several minutes, stirring constantly until thick and cool. Spread remaining whole berries in pie shell. Pour cooked berries over the whole berries and cool pie. Garnish as desired.

2 comments:

SYD said...

Mmmmm Strawberry Pie. That looks delicious and easy to make

Abby said...

I LOVE strawberry pie. I've been freezing strawberries the last few days so I can have pies and cakes all year-round!